Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question about new DigiQ

Hello all, first post. I just purchased a DigiQ and am learning to use it. Tomorrow I am set to cook a tri-tip on my large.  I usually sear at 600 or so, then drop down to 350 to finish up. Now that I have the DigiQ can I leave the adapter installed for the sear portion and then plug in the blower while the temp drops? Will it even reach 600 with the adapter on?  Do I need to pull everything off for the sear and then try to reinstall on a hot egg.  Not sure how to manage this.  Suggestions will be appreciated.  I seemed to manage just fine in the past without the controller, but now that I have a new gadget I want to play with it.....
·

Comments

• You can leave the adapter on. If you are having trouble getting the temp up with the adapter you can pump some air through it with a blower, shop vac, hair dryer, etc.
    ·
  • DAVAZDAVAZ Posts: 3
    Thanks much. I have a heat gun guess I'll try that.
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,819
    Why not do it reverse sear. Not advisable to leave the probe/probes in at 600. If you do, wrap them with aluminum foil. It's just easier to reverse sear and get the egg up to temp rather than back down.
    ·
  • IMHO cooking at that high of a temp you don't even need the DIgi Q. I think they are best used for 300 and below and for long cooks at low temps. jus sayin!
    Brandon, MS
    ·
  • DAVAZDAVAZ Posts: 3
    I've never tried a reverse sear. Intend to do so but have company tomorrow and don't want to risk disaster. I wouldn't have probes in during the sear. The only reason I want to use the DigiQ is because it is new and I want to learn to use it. Perhaps a tri-tip isn't an ideal meal for experimenting. Thanks for the comments all.
    ·