Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Lightning Shrimp

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum

Decided to go healthy last night and when we decide to do that, seafood usually ends up on the menu. The Mrs. and I both agreed on green lightning shrimp since its been awhile. Got the Egg going around 425ish and threw on the butter/cilantro/garlic to melt.

Then we tossed some squash and zuke planks on. When they were done, they got wrapped in aluminum foil to keep them warm while the shrimp cooked.

Tossed the shrimp with the marinade in a grill basket along with some bread.

Shrimp just took a few minutes.

Drizzle the butter on it, squeeze some lime on it and plate it up

This time it actually had some heat. Don't know if the jalapenos were hotter, or that I left the seeds and membranes in from one of them (4 total) or that I subbed some of the evoo for this stuff that my brother picked up for me down in @Mickey neck of the woods. Either way, it had some kick. Good stuff.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Looks great! This is definitely on my list of things to try.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Griffin
    Options
    @jtippers it was actually on my list of things to try for 6 years (I went back and found a post on another forum where I first saw it). Just like the BGE, I'm kinda sad I waited all that time. Healthy and flavorful.

Rowlett, Texas

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    lol, that happens... I haven't had good luck cooking shrimp so far. I usually overcook them. Practice makes perfect I guess.  :)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Hey Griffin, I found this recipe on your site and made it for the family last weekend. Everyone loved it. Served mine with wild rice and Brussels Sprouts. Thanks for posting those.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    Options

@jtippers yeah, practice makes perfect. Cook 'em hot and cook 'em fast. Pull them when they first begin to turn pink and serve immediately.

@Cymbaline65 glad you liked it. How did you find the heat level to be?

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Griff where did the jalapeños come in to play? It sure looks good and guessing at the marinade.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    Yes Sir, @Mickey . the jalapenos are in the marinade along with cilantro, green onions, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and evoo. I think that is all.

Rowlett, Texas

• Cymbaline65
    Options

Well, my daughter and me are heat junkies. My wife and youngest, not so much. Therefore I have to walk that fine line.

That said, I found that Jalapenos I grew this year were spicy but not as hot as last year (presumably due to our very wet spring and summer) and store-bought (only when I had exhausted my supply for the week) were a crap shoot.

I removed the seeds and membranes of three medium J's and the heat was perfect. The splash of lime at the end brought it all together.

You've got some good recipes on your site and I enjoy lurking  

B-)
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    edited October 2013
    Options

Thanks @Cymbaline65 . Started out just trying to keep my recipes organized somewhere that I could easily find them (like if I was at the store and forgot my list) and as a way to help others starting out. Sort of as a way to give back to all those that I learned from in various forums throughtout the years. I didn't have much luck with my jalapeno plants this year (or anything else). Something came along and ate everything in about 2 days. Think I ended up with a grand total of 14 japs that I rescued.

@Mickey here's the marinade. 30 minutes or so:

1 pound shrimp

1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped

2-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (for hotter shrimp, leave the seeds in)

1/2 bunch scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and coarsely chopped

3 cloves garlic (2 cloves coarsely chopped, 1 clove minced for the butter)

1 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)

couple of turns of your pepper grinder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

and the rest of the recipe is HERE

Rowlett, Texas

• Cymbaline65
    Options

My J's output was adequate (not as good as last year), tomatoes were hit/miss. Cherry and Pear Tomatoes were stellar. Rutgers and Better Boy, lousy. I lost two plants in 1 week for reasons unknown.

I've got family visiting and birthday dinners to cook so I better be on my A game this weekend. Rib Roast with reverse sear on Sat, Trout on Sun. Hopefully the charcoal gods will smile and the planets align...

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Man I want to try these but the wife does NOT like cilantro! Shrimp look awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Thanks for the recipe. I have bene meaning to try this for some time also... maybe this weekend.

@RAC - what about makng the recipe with basil? Keep everything else but use basil in place of cilantro. Kind of a spicy pesto.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gabriegger
    Options

@Griffin Grill basket.  Ya that's what it's called.  Thanks.  I blanked when trying to describe it today and referred to it 'a thingie with holes in it.'

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini