Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd cook

rmhendoo
rmhendoo Posts: 36
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
This is my 2nd cook on the Egg. Pork loin, dry rubbed and cooked to 160 temp. Used place setter and drip pan of water. Haven't had a taste yet, got it resting in a cooler. Have to wait and see. Any suggestions on regulating temps using upper and lower vents? What is the right combination? More upper, less lower or vice versa?

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I open the bottom vent 2 finger widths, and the top with the daisy wheel half open for 250 degrees.

Then I adjust from there if I want a different temp.  I pretty much just cook at 250 for slow, and wide open for hot.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Don't need the drip pan with water, just get an air gap between the drip pan and the setter to avoid burning, wads of foil work well. Some use the bottom vent only, some use the top vent only, some use both - as you can see egging is a very exact science. I like to leave the bottom open 1/2 and regulate with the DFMT. Find what works for you and give it time to adjust, don't over react. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 with @Skiddymarker - no need for water in the drip pan, just raise it off the PS. I'm in the no top vent camp, unless doing a cook below 300 degrees. Otherwise, just regulate with bottom vent.
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    No top vent cap is needed unless your gasket is fried and cooking under 325-350.  Only time I put liquid in a drip pan is a little vinegar and apple juice mix when doing pork butts. Which isn't every time just when going for a certain flavor my buddies dad prefers.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Sounds good, thanks for the tip
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you, and specially your family, can do pink pork try cooking to 140*. It's legal to do that now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON