Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First try at Sous Vide Steak... w/pic.

Me and SWMBO had reason to celebrate tonight. So, I decided to fix up some ribeyes we had in the freezer. I dropped them in a sous vide bath with no seasoning at 130 degrees for 2 hours, then coated with S&P and seared on the small egg with a coat of melted butter.

Now the problem is... I can't bear the thought of going to Outback or Longhorn's ever again.

LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    Absolutely beautiful presentation. 10/10!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,949
    hell yeah!

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,146
    What the two guys above said - Awesome.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • gorgeous. perfect example of SV steak right there. When people ask why Sous Vide, just post that pic. Wall to wall med rare with a hard sear. Sign me up.

·
  • Absolutely gorgeous! Straight from the freezer into the bath or thawed first?

·
  • RaymontRaymont Posts: 344

Looks great!

Here's how I've done it with a filet for those interested:image

Result:image

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,891
    Beautiful!  Served with only the finest, and curliest pommes frites. ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • jtippers said:

"Now the problem is... I can't bear the thought of going to Outback or Longhorn's ever again."

What with that cruddy spice stuff they apply to everything including my dessert one time, who would want to?

See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510

Absolutely gorgeous! Straight from the freezer into the bath or thawed first?

I bought a whole ribeye about a month ago... I vacuum sealed two steaks per bag and froze without any seasoning. I dropped them into the sous vide straight out of the freezer.

Thanks for all the kind words!
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    As a rookie, I guess this is a must try for myself. Looks great!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
    @Raymont

That is an interesting looking setup.  Silly question- are you controlling the temp with the digi-Q or just monitoring it.  If controlling- what are you using as a heater and how did you connect it?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    @smokeyPitt - Good Question- I was just monitoring the temp with the DigiQ. As long as you have a decent size cooler (larger volume of water) I don't think you will need any heating element for an hour or two. Just add a little hot water (heated on stove) but I don't think you will see more than a few degree temp drop. Make sure you vacuum seal or remove as much air as possible from the bag. The steak should not float. Good Luck!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

·
    Raymont said:
    @smokeyPitt - Good Question- I was just monitoring the temp with the DigiQ. As long as you have a decent size cooler (larger volume of water) I don't think you will need any heating element for an hour or two. Just add a little hot water (heated on stove) but I don't think you will see more than a few degree temp drop. Make sure you vacuum seal or remove as much air as possible from the bag. The steak should not float. Good Luck!
    Cool- thanks! 

·
  • wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
    I have been doing Sous Vide for several months now.

Sarted using a heated water in a cooler and worked OK.  Product is amazing.

I bought a temp controller and  now fill mechanical controlled crock pot with water.  Plug into my controller, plug controller in the wall and set temp.
     Works really good.  I am getting ready to buy a old electric roaster(for about 30-40 bucks) and will be able to cook larger qtys at one time.  Steak can be cut with a fork and they are cooked completely through all the same way.  Searing on the egg or in cast iron skillet is all it takes.

I have been seasoning befor putting in the bag with good success.  Best steaks I have ever had.

Looking to try some other things if I ever get the time.
    ·
    wallyjar said:
    Searing on the egg or in cast iron skillet is all it takes.
    @wallyjar- that brings up another good point.  Can you tell much difference between searing using the egg and just using cast iron?   If the steak is only hitting the egg for 60 seconds or so per side it seems the meat wouldn't really absorb much if any flavor from the lump.  

·
  • I prefer cast iron but you do get some smoke from the lump. It burns really clean at that temp though so there is not a lot of smoke. Adding chunks is worthless- too fast and they don't add any flavor unless they are smoking (not burning).

If you like smoke on your steaks, you can get it in 30 seconds a side. I just prefer cast iron for that all over caramel crust

·
    Am I crazy or do these things cost $1000+. Maybe I am ignorant, but this is the first I have heard of these things or this method. Please enlighten me

Cheers
    ·
    edited October 2013

·
    I prefer cast iron but you do get some smoke from the lump. It burns really clean at that temp though so there is not a lot of smoke. Adding chunks is worthless- too fast and they don't add any flavor unless they are smoking (not burning).

If you like smoke on your steaks, you can get it in 30 seconds a side. I just prefer cast iron for that all over caramel crust

Am I crazy or do these things cost $1000+. Maybe I am ignorant, but this is the first I have heard of these things or this method. Please enlighten me
    ·
  • check out this thread started by dlk7. This is the unit I have and it works like a champ:

I paid $400 2 years ago, now it's $200. And that is the way I usually roll!

It's a great unit and for $200 it's a score.

·
    check out this thread started by dlk7. This is the unit I have and it works like a champ:

I paid $400 2 years ago, now it's $200. And that is the way I usually roll!

It's a great unit and for $200 it's a score.

Thanks for educating a rookie, looking forward to the research. I assume its a highly recommended method from the posts!
    ·
  • The Anova immersion circulator is only $200:

Really good specs and great reviews for home use.  It is the unit I will be getting.  The commercial grade polyscience ones cost between $800-$1200, but a lot of home use ones have come out in the $200-$400 range.  There is always also DIY.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
    ·
    I have the Anova and I Love it.
    ·
    edited October 2013
    @Aquacop- there was another discussion on this yesterday:

You can pull off Sous Vide of a steak like Raymont showed above.  Hot water in a cooler and food saver/vac sealer.  I am planning to give this method a try.  If I like it, add a real sous vide machine to my xmas list. 

·
  • Do they ALL circulate the water?
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 818
    I've been thinking about trying this too (cooler sous vide).  You do no seasoning of the meat until after it's cooked, just before searing?
    ·
    @krobertsmsn - No. The Sous Vide Supreme and Demi are essentially a water ovens. They heat the water without circulating it. The PolyScience, Anova, & Sansaire units circulate the water.

@njl - Thats how I did the steak above. No seasoning until right before I seared it.
    ·

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

·
    Wow... @Raymont - thats alot of good info. Thanks!
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,692

I've been a big fan of this kind of cooking for about a year.  I do it the "simple" way.  114 deg water in the kitchen sink.  Bagged steak in water for right at one hour, monitoring the water with my Thermopen.  BTW, steak is thawed before it goes in the bag.

Super hot sear for 90 sec a side.  Wonderful eats! 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·