Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pan of veggies under spatchcock chicken

Options
How do you guys do this? Do you put the pan on the bottom rack of the AR under the bird with the spider and indirect piece under that? Or do you not use the indirect piece at all? I think that would burn the vegetables. Any advice?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I only cook birds direct. So veg's is a second cook (veg is one of the few indirect cooks I do). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't have an AR but I have done it both direct and indirect.  Either way works fine.  I do think when you go direct with the veggies you may want to give them a stir a couple of times.  If you go indirect you may want to give the veggies a head start- especially if there are taters included. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I did this Saturday for the first time. I had two spatchcock chickens direct on the top of the AR, and 45 minutes into the cook I put a grill pan underneath the birds on the bottom rack filled with zucchini and yellow squash. They both finished about the same time and things didn't get burned very much. I kept a pretty close eye on it and stirred the veggies once in a while.
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I coat the veggies in evo, s&p and add just a little chicken broth. Keep a close eye on them so they don't get mushy. I cut bigger pieces. They're awesome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I do potatoes, carrots and onions in a pan with my egg feet as dividers on top of the platesetter and place the grid and chickens directly on top.  I also cook high heat 400-450 for my chickens.  works beautifully.  keep in there the whole cook.  with separation from the platesetter, they won't burn.  I lightly coat with evoo but I'm not sure it's necessary.