Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Roasted Tomato Soup - Eggtoberfest 2013

For those who requested this recipe - and because I didn't do recipe cards - here's the recipe for the Roasted Tomato Soup.  A few notes:  1) I tripled the ingredients to serve at Eggtoberfest; 2) I used plum tomatoes; 3) I skipped the straining step; and 4) at home I simmer the soup on the stove top.

Roasted Tomato Soup

·         4 lb tomatoes, halved lengthwise

·         1 head of garlic, unpeeled; cut off top 1/3 of head

·         3 tablespoons olive oil

·         1/2 teaspoon salt

·         1/4 teaspoon black pepper

·         1 medium onion, finely chopped

·         1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled

·         2 teaspoons sugar

·         2 tablespoons unsalted butter

·         3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth

·         1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat the Egg to 350°; use a plate setter, legs up with the grid on top.

Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in 1 layer in a large shallow roasting pan and add garlic to pan. Drizzle tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes and garlic on the Egg for 1 hour; cool in pan on a rack.  Squeeze garlic out of the cloves.

Cook onion, oregano, and sugar in butter in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, and stock and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. 

Purée soup using an immersion blender then force through a sieve into cleaned pot, discarding solids. Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 2 minutes.

Divide soup among bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Recipe adapted from:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Tomato-Soup-with-Parmesan-Wafers-108481#ixzz2hto6wWz8

·

Comments

• It was awesome at Eggtoberfest, can't wait to try it at home...the weather's getting cool!!

·