Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT - Weber Q-200 insufficient btu's

Options
Not meaning to blaspheme here talking about LP but I didn't wan't to create a new forum profile on a gasser site to get answers to my dilemma:

Background info: In addition to my LBGE I use a Weber Q-200 LP grill for quick cooks and tailgating. I hooked it up to a 20# tank via adapter hose and don't get anywhere near the temperature variation I should be getting. There is little difference between "high" and "low" heat. When I crank it up I'd like to get a good searing temp and when it's turned down I'd like it to be low temp. This is a 12,000 BTU grill. I think the regulator is a type Q-689. 

I've conducted extensive internet searches but haven't come up with any good answers on my own. I've ruled out that this is an isolated issue (my dad and brother have the same model, same issue). 

Questions: If I install an adjustable regulator (like you'd find on a turkey fryer) do you think this would help me get the BTU's I need out of this grill? If not, is there a compatible regulator out there that allows for higher BTU's (something closer to 18k-24k BTU's?)

Thanks for the help. Apologies in advance for my first post here involving LP. I'll post more relevant subject matter shortly. 

D

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    so I normally work with natural gas appliances and not BBQs, but I would try cleaning the orifices and the holes on the burner.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I have the q120. It's about the same as far as lame temps. I've been meaning to take my torch tip drill bits (very tiny drill bits) home and drill out all the orifices. But since buying the egg I have forgotten about it. I need to so its ready for camping so I'll try and remember this weekend and post results.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • dawsonc61
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I have the q120. It's about the same as far as lame temps. I've been meaning to take my torch tip drill bits (very tiny drill bits) home and drill out all the orifices. But since buying the egg I have forgotten about it. I need to so its ready for camping so I'll try and remember this weekend and post results.
    That's a great idea. Let me know how that turns out. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Can't speak with any authority about that make/model but I have had and seen some grills that didn't work on a single tank. You can get the "paralleling" hose kits at barbeque stores.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Weber is very helpful, just give them a call.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

12000 BTU just isn't a lot of heat.  I just shopped portable gas grills for tailgaiting and 15000 BTUs is about the max.  My 5 burner - not portable - Gran Turbo puts out 15000 per burner for a total of 75000.  My guess is that it is a combination of size/weight and the fact that they know some people will run them on the 1 lb LP tanks - so they would run out really quickly if that burned much hotter.

I haven't figured out how to get more heat out of it, but I have figured out that if you take a cast iron skillet it will soak up the heat pretty well and allow you to blacken stuff pretty easily.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX