Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpkin Pie on the BGE (Warning: pic heavy)

dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
edited October 2013 in Desserts
Someone else made this recently so the credit goes to them.  I have never made a pumpkin pie except using the canned stuff.  I thought I would document the cook on here in case someone else has the urge to try it.

I bought some pumpkin pie pumpkins from Lowes.

photo IMG_20131014_094453_zps24991fde.jpg

Tried to cut them in half and had a heck of a time doing it.  Ended up cutting them with a wood saw.  I dont know if that means the pumpkins weren't ripe enough or what but I couldn't hack through them with a really sharp kitchen knife.  Anyway, cut them in half and scooped out the guts.

photo IMG_20131014_100836_zpsde0881cf.jpg

Put them on the BGE, indirect at about 350.  They were soft in a little more than an hour.  Here is a tip, put the pumpkins cut side up.  If you put them cut side down (like I did at first) the moisture from the pumpkins leaks out onto the platesetter and causes the egg to smoke.

photo IMG_20131014_115954_zpsc7bf8a6f.jpg

Scooped out the soft pumpkin into a bowl and blended it up.

photo IMG_20131014_121419_zps02c62fa0.jpg

Mixed up the pumpkin pie using a simple recipe found using Google.  http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/detail.aspx

Here are the ingredients used:

I obviously used my fresh pumpkin in place of the canned stuff.  Mixed it up according to the directions and poured it into the unbaked pie shell.
Grill is a little messy from making country ribs earlier in the day.
Cooked the pie at about 375 indirect until the pie was firm and a butter knife came out of the center clean.

photo IMG_20131014_173017_zps3029741c.jpg

This is the finished product.  The brown parts on the edges are from the pie mixture spilling a bit when I was walking it out to the grill.

photo IMG_20131014_182300_zps2dc4230c.jpg

The pie turned out really good.  Needed to be just a tad sweeter.  Almost tasted like a sweet potato pie.

Overall, I recommend doing one this way.  I love knowing exactly what does into my food instead of just dumping a can or mush into a pie shell.

The pics and the pie arent as pretty as some of the examples people put on the forum but I still consider myself new to this hobby.  Hopefully this will help someone with Thanksgiving coming up soon and all.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,129
    Hey don't dig on yourself that looks awesome. Really delicious!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    That looks great. Right time of the year for pumpkin pie for sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    That's bad freakin' ass! Sorry but, I may have to copy this one this weekend. Very impressive. And if my smell-o-vision is working it smells and tastes sweet as well....pie :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    I surely agree. That pie looks really good. Thanks for posting!
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Thanks for the comments guys!  I have a pile of farm fresh sweet potatoes that I am going to try out on the egg (as a pie) next.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Try slicing and grilling some of those sweet potatoes too.

Pie looks great!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.