Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone every made salami?

500 Posts: 3,177
I found a recipe. http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/salami-recipe.html
 Looks easy.  Thoughts on how it might turn out?  How would you Eggify it?  (I don't see Eggify in the Eggicionary.  Do I get a credit for a new word?)
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's a faux salami. 

Traditionally salami is not cooked.  It's fermented and cured, sometimes as long as years, and can be further treated with a mold (like penicillin) on the casing.
    So it likely will not taste like hard salami I get at the deli?  Would this be considered Summer Sausage then?  Or is that simply a different recipe? 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Summer sausage is kind of a generic term for sausage that doesn't need refrigeration - it too is usually cured or fermented. 

I have no idea how that sausage would taste, it's probably really good, most home made sausages are.  But when I think of salami, I think of cured, uncooked sausage.