Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on Large BGE (Brisket)

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
I am a newby. Got BGE for 15yr wedding anniversary. Always thought they were overrated. Well I stand corrected. I can't go back to cooking without it. Everything I've made thus far is wicked tasty!
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Looks great!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I start prep on my briskets 24-48 hrs in advance. I trim (slightly). Inject with plenty of apple juice or apple cider, rub down with mustard, then dry rub with "country boy rub" (it's a rub I get from a local butcher) and mix it with light brown sugar. Then I wrap it in cellophane and put it in the refrigerator. Day of cook I pull out of refrigerator to let it get to room temp before putting in BGE. I I smoke with lump and chunks of apple wood at 225F-275F roughly 45min-1hr per# I DO NOT cover with aluminum foil as I have done it this way and we enjoy the bark and it has been a consistent family and friend crowd pleaser. The piece here is a #15 full packer. Next time I will do a flat of 6#-9# as the packer is a bit much for us to consume and I like the leaness of the flat vs packer.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have opened my eyes and now FTC all my briskets. I also DO NOT let the meat come to room temp (I pull from refrigerator straight to the egg). I put in HDAF @ about 160F-170F i.t. And pull @ 195F i.t. to FTC. The last briskets I made I had in FTC close to 6 hrs before SWMBO and her friend had the rest of meal ready and our other guests arrived (but, it was still holding strong @ 170F. It was perfectly moist and pull test passed. Sliced against grain and also did some burnt ends from the point. In short I have listened to forum advise and modified to work for me and results have proven successful. I have made 7 briskets since this first one I did when we first got our LBGE back in Sept '13' and each one has progressively got better. Thanks fellow eggheads :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    These are from last briskets I did. I posted these on a previous post. I had to repost after reading the way I "used" to do my brisket. I can definitely taste the difference and my smoke ring has even improved.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    Great cooks-many roads will get you there-congrats on finding what works for you.  Brisket is one of my favorite cooks, in part since it can be such a "crap-shoot".  Continue to enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @lousubcap..thanks & agreed the brisket can be a untamed beast which makes it fun and challenging. Brisket is always a crowd pleaser with our family and friends so I continue to try to tweak to get little subtle differences and improvements. But, what I'm doing now all consumers seem happy with so I will stay steady with this way to keep SWMBO happy :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • mclosson
    Options
    About to try my first brisket. What does FTC and HDAF mean?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    FTC = foil,towel and cooler. Once done smoking wrap the meat in a couple layers of foil then wrap with a towel and place in a cooler for a nice rest.

HDAF - heavy duty aluminum foil.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Also when foiling I put some moisture in. I use about a third to two thirds cup black coffee. Got this tip from YouTube video Dr BBQ Ray Lampe. I have a specific process I follow now with all my briskets both full packers and flats. I prep each one the same 24-48 hrs ahead-- inject apple juice or cider, rub down with spicy brown mustard, apply my rub pretty heavy which by the time it goes on the egg it is a paste consistency. My rub is homemade and has evolved to what it is today and prefer it to any commercial made rubs. I I smoke at 200-250F. I foil at around 160F and pull around 195F i.t. I have tried many different woods for smoke but, I have yet to try cherry so I think that will be the next brisket I make. We'll see. @mclosson I hope your brisket turns out perfect!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014