Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bags for Foodsaver

Options
I can get standard 8x12 bags from work for $.0907 each. The Foodsaver ones are $.50 ish each. Its a 3 mil not a 4 mil like the FS bags. the case has 2000 bags in it, and its only myself and my wife so a bag that size does 2 portions for us no problem. Does any standard vacuum bag work in these contraptions?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yes, I've got some from chef's supplies that were thinner. I seem to remember I had to turn my seal time down.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Typically they will seal most plastic bags, but the success of the Food Saver is drawing down a vacuum and flat bags won't do that. FS has a proprietary channel pattern to one side which allows the air to be extracted before sealing.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Here is a link to bags that will work with a Food Saver and at a much more reasonable cost - especially when bought in bulk quantities. Their secret is a third layer of plastic mesh sandwiched on the inside which allows the air to be extracted. Here is a close up of that mesh.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.