Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question on pork butt timing

I have 12 lbs of pork butt injected, rubbed, and wrapped in the refrigerator. Thing is, it's actually 2 6-pounders that came in the same package. Should I estimate my timing based on 9 hours or 18? That's 1.5 x 6 vs 1.5 x 12. I won't be stopping until I hit 190 or 195 internal temp, but I need to gauge my start time. I'm thinking 2 6-pounders take the same time as 1, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015
Naperville, IL

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,360

They will take a little longer than one but only like an hour in total. That's just because you are adding more cold mass.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    You are correct. Two butts cook the same as one.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Thanks, guys...I was hoping it wouldn't be the. 18. I can see it adding a little time to the 6-pound timeframe, but I did I want it doubled. Time for another beer...great weather in Chicagoland for smokin butt.
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015
    Naperville, IL
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,360
    Good news that you have good weather. That will be ours tomorrow.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Any weather IMO is good weather for smoking butt. Ok, maybe not during a winter blizzard, but that's about it.

Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Any weather is good weather! It means you woke up breathing...And that is a good start to the day!