Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mickey's turkey to a new level - IMO

GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I love Mickey's turkey rub and method for cooking turkey but it just got better and went to the top of the list for the best turkey.  I was going to do a beer brine, I bought the turkey and forgot the beer.  Slap head! So I did another brine:             

1 qt  water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup molasses 
Brine for 24 hours.

Dry and rub with Micky's coffee rub.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better.  

Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
·

Comments

• SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 410

My mind just exploded.  Can't wait to try this!  Bookmarked.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,941
    I could eat that picture. Looks terrific!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,410
    Ok, That looks very good.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    edited October 2013
    Mickey said:
    Ok, That looks very good.
    Your rub topped it off. A great combination.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    Granny... Forgot the beer? For shame, for shame. :-SS
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    But I didn't forget the mint for my mojitos! ;;)
    ·
    I've never had one?....
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,290
    henapple said:

I've never had one?....

That's too bad.
    ·
    What's the concoction?
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    How did you cook it? Looks awesome.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
    henapple said:
    What's the concoction?
    Mint, simple sugar, lime, rum and sparkling water. Great drink for floating in the hot tub.

·
    Aquacop said:
    How did you cook it? Looks awesome.

Raised grate, direct, at 400 degrees to a temp of 160.
    ·
  • That just shot to the top of the to cook list =D>
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    henapple said:

I've never had one?....

That's no good. You need to fix yourself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Can I get a link to the coffee rub? And some other suggestions for smoking a bird this week. We just spent the last 3 months moving and I'm excited to finally break my egg out and do some cooking.
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    edited November 2013
    Here's Mickey's
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Here's my recipe, very similar with a few more ingredients, both are very good.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 

1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder

1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    Is this rub anything like Dizzy Pig coffee rub? Never tried it but a dealer near me started selling it recently.
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    edited November 2013
    @ brycos 
    Red Eye Express by DP is similar. The ingredients say coffee, not espresso. It would be a good one to try if you didn't want to make one of ours to see if you like the flavor, before making you own.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,303
    @GrannyX4 - was this a fresh bird that you brined? I've never brined a turkey before and this one is a fresh organic. This is for my wife's family Thanksgiving and they all have HIGH expectations when I make something on the egg.

I mixed up the brine per your ratio but I had to make quite a bit more to cover the bird. I ended up with tripling your brine amount. I just don't want it to be too salty. The bird has been in brine for about 20 hrs right now and I'm thinking of taking it out. I plan to rinse it thoroughly to try to remove a bit of the salt. What do you think? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks. 
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
    ·
    Turkey was a fresh turkey beast. I didn't think it was too salty but by all means rinse if you are sensitive to salt and then air dry in fridge. Where did my picture go? ;;)
    ·
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,303
    Thanks Granny - just finished rinsing and spatchcocking. Going to dry with paper towels and lay in the fridge uncovered until 3:00 tomorrow afternoon. Then rub with Mickey's Coffee Rub. That rub smells amazing!
    L x2, M, S, and Mini. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
    ·
    The molasses in the brine enhanced the flavors of the rub and was a good thing. Hope you like it as much as we did. Happy Turkey Day! >:D<
    ·