Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why I love My XL

Options
six_egg
six_egg Posts: 1,110
edited October 2013 in Off Topic

Seen a few people who have bought eggs ask Large or XL. I do have both but I bought large first. I should have bought the XL first. See how I can do hamburgers on the XL. 6 half inch burgers made with BGE burger maker cooked on a 17 x 9 CI griddle. Plus jalapenos and small CI skillet for sauted onions. However I do this almost every night. Cook for 4 plus lunch leftovers. Now if I was just cooking for two XL might be over kill.

Also did a nieghborhood chicken Fajita cook. I used my 20 inch CI and cooked 12 pounds boneless skinless breast, 6 green bells and 5 onions.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I cook on my XL every night and 90% of the time for just 2 people.  I use my second XL 2 or 3 times per week to accomodate different temps or for doing a low and slow while I'm cooking dinner on the other one.  Last weekend we had over 30 people over for an appetizer party - boston butt on one for 20 hours and then Moink balls, Jalapeno poppers, armadillo eggs, sea turtle eggs, and bacon wrapped aparagus on both XLs utilizing a raised grid on one and an adjustable rig on the other..

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    That sounds awesome dlk7. I just like the XL size so I can have hot and cooler areas as I cook.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Now that I have a medium, I do smaller cooks on it such as a whole chicken or pork shoulder. Sometimes I use both.  I still like the extra room of the XL when grilling more than a few items.  It's nice to have space to flip and move food around based upon hot spots in the grill.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I bought the lump reduction ring for woking and smaller cooks. I have absolutely no regrets buying the XL. It gives a wide-range of flexibility. I cook  slabs 2 week ago and had no problem what so ever. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD