Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

To smoke or not to smoke!

Have a 5lb prime rib roast,was wondering alittle bit of smoke,alot of smoke,or no smoke? Thinking of just a salt and pepper rub,and low and slow(200-225 Dome temp) nice med rare in the center. As always any tips are greatly apprieciated! Thanks in advance, enjoy your sunday! Go packers!!!!

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,157
    most are probably gonna say let the meat shine.  I actually prefer oak on prime rib.  just a small chunk or like 1/2 a cup of chips.  that with some good oaked cabernet is out of this world in my book.
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 432
    @u_tarded how long do u think do u think it will take to cook a 5lb'er at 220?
  • I did a 4lb. prime rib a couple of weeks ago. I went indirect at a little higher temp - 270* or so - for a little over an hour to get to 120 IT. I took the meat off the egg, removed the plate setter and let things heat and then seared the meat on all sides for another minute or so per side. The only seasoning I used was s&p and a little garlic powder; no smoke.

It came out great.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.