Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

My 1st Beef Brisket

Greetings fellow eggheads. I have a smaller beef brisket (3lbs) I want to cook this weekend. I've been doing some online research but wanted to see if any of you had an suggestions for cook time, temp, etc. (considering the brisket is only a 3 pounder) Thanks guys

Comments

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,615
    3 lb-er is probably just a flat.  Look up Travis Brisket.  I have not tried it but it looks great.  I am smoking a 12 lber tonight into tomorrow but its a whole packer.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,232
    Smoke it until it hits the stall (around 160F).  Then foil it with some apple juice and cook it until it's tender - around 200F.   Check tender with a chop stick or something that shape - it should slide into the meat like butter.

If it was a full packer or point, I'd recommend straight up smoking the whole time.

• bicktravbicktrav Posts: 453
    Smoke it until it hits the stall (around 160F).  Then foil it with some apple juice and cook it until it's tender - around 200F.   Check tender with a chop stick or something that shape - it should slide into the meat like butter.

If it was a full packer or point, I'd recommend straight up smoking the whole time.
    Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you foil a point or full packer?  I'm assuming it's to do with the elevated fat content, but what would the disadvantage be in foiling those cuts?
    Southern California
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,232
    @bicktrav  It's really personal preference.  Some people like the thick chewy bark and foiling can make that soggy.  The small flats don't cook very well without braising (same as foiling with liquid) because they don't have that big slab of fat between the point and the flat that helps bathe the meat.

• bicktravbicktrav Posts: 453
    Got it.  Thanks!
    Southern California
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,470
    Another vote for the @nolaegghead method :)
    Louisville