Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dome out of Alignment

Hi All:

My Egg is about 3 weeks and was set-up by my dealer. After cooking pizza lat night it looks like the dome is now slid back toward the hinge about an 1/8" or more. Is this ok? I feel like it will expose part of the gasket to more heat. Is there a quick adjustment/fix or do I have to disassemble it and put it back together. I checked the nuts on the bands and they seemed ok. I suppose the hinge ones are meant to be a bit loose so it can open?

Thanks!
·

Comments

• 1/8"?? No worries. No dome and bottom piece is perfectly circular. If you are worried that much about the gasket get a Rutland.
    ·
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 467
    The dealer didn't tighten the bolts properly. The exact same thing happened to me. Mine got to be an underbite of nearly 1/2 inch after a few months. When you cook at such high temps, the steel bands expand and contract, so the bolts have to be tremendously tight to prevent movement. 1/8 inch is no problem at all. Most people probably dont have perfectly flush eggs; It won't impede function in the least. But you don't want it getting any larger, so grab a wrench, get back there and have at them. Doing that totally corrected my problem.
    Southern California
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,545
    I loosened the band bolt on the dome, put the dome and then the band back where I wanted them, then tightened up.  So far it has not moved again, and the gasket is tight all the way around.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·