Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
bdsdnfam
bdsdnfam Posts: 22
edited September 2013 in Beef

So I've had my egg about a year.  Finally felt comfortable to try my first real challenge....a Flat Brisket.  6lbs. of challenge to be specific!  First, I brined it overnight in a "just add water" brine mix.  Not bad but added extra Peppercorns and Bay Leaves.

Then on Sunday, I salt and peppered that slab and put it on my XL at 10:00am at 275.  At 4:00 I checked it with my Thermopen....190ish but still too tough.  So I took it off and wrapped it in foil with a cup of water.  Put it back on at 300.  At 5:30 checked it with the Thermopen.  I don't remember the temperature as I just remembered how easy the pen went into the meat....as you have said....butter!

Took it off and let it set until 6:30.  Sliced it cross grain, kept the juice for dipping, and for a brief time we were in Brisket heaven!  My oldest son said that it was so good that if he was a dog he would've rolled in it!!

Thanks for all of the tips as that's what I started with!!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Congratulations.  That's what this place is all about.  If you take some pics and post them here next time you do one you will probably get a more interest in your thread. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Congrats.  Any successful brisket flat cook is worthy of celebration.  Glad it worked out!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bdsdnfam
    Options
    After it was nearly gone I thought about the pictures!  Next time!!!