Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing Spark Screen

Options
I really want to remove the spark screen.  The screen gets deformed too easily, especially on high heat cooks, and is already damaged.  It's more trouble than it's worth.  Any advice on how to do so?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I guess just "unbend" the holder at the end and slide it out. Don't do it if you cook on a wooden deck.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    + 1. Take i t out and gently hammer out the kinks, then put it back.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I really want to remove the spark screen.  The screen gets deformed too easily, especially on high heat cooks, and is already damaged.  It's more trouble than it's worth.  Any advice on how to do so?
    Suit yourself, but too often I have discovered a disaster like this that was prevented due to the screen being in place. The picture isn't too sharp, but these embers were large marble size! BTW how is your screen getting damaged? Was it improperly installed on the outside instead of the inside?  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    My egg is on a concrete patio, so I don't use the screen all that often, but I do find it can be useful for regulating airflow on low/slow cooks. For some reason I feel more confident having the vent open wider with the screen in place rather than the solid door cracked very minimally. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    It can slide out by bending the retaining flap, but I wouldn't do it.  Once it gets lit, I close it, otherwise there are sparks frequently shooting out. 
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • RRP
    Options
    My egg is on a concrete patio, so I don't use the screen all that often, but I do find it can be useful for regulating airflow on low/slow cooks. For some reason I feel more confident having the vent open wider with the screen in place rather than the solid door cracked very minimally. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    LOL - being that far up North you probably seldom grill in your bare feet or even flip-flops, right? Concrete patio or not you catch one of those embers on your tootsies and you'll be doing what I call a "hill billy sh*t stomp dance"!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I find this really strange?  No idea how the screen gets deformed during high heat cooks?  Do you not have your charcoal grate in?
    If you find that the screen isn't sliding well, take a screwdriver and gently wedge open where the screen slides.  Mine was bad when I first got it and now is slides really nice.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• PaulAHeiemann
    PaulAHeiemann Posts: 6
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Well, I didn't buy the egg to cook pizzas at 500 degrees.  I cook at 900-1000 degrees with regularity. The screen has become detached from the frame.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    RRP said:

Cheers -
    B_B
    LOL - being that far up North you probably seldom grill in your bare feet or even flip-flops, right? Concrete patio or not you catch one of those embers on your tootsies and you'll be doing what I call a "hill billy sh*t stomp dance"!
    Didn't Chris's fire start with an ember out of the lower vent? Got in to the garage and landed on newspaper as I remember. Mine was embers on a wood deck. Sure hate to go through that five years of Hell again.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    Yes - and I have always heard that Chris came up with the screen idea after his fire loss and Ed Fisher ran with it!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I seem to remember the garage door being something like thirty feet away. He and I talked a lot during the restorations.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Well, I didn't buy the egg to cook pizzas at 500 degrees.  I cook at 900-1000 degrees with regularity. The screen has become detached from the frame.
    Call the mothership.  Sounds like a potential warranty issue.  Maybe they'll send another screen.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    It is easy to remove, as you don't plan on re-using, why not just cut the offending screen material away (utility knife would work) leaving the empty frame in place. Up to you if you want to live with the fire risk. 
    Maybe an egg is not the right cooker for your needs. The egg is designed and claimed to sear/grill at temps as high as 750º, if you cook at 900-1000º most of the time, sounds to me like you might have the wrong tool. 
    Lots of ceramic/infrared grills out there that will hit 1500º, maybe you should invest in a commercial style product. 
    I've cooked at high temps but only for a short time, if you want sustained high temps, maybe the egg is not the right tool.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    What the hell are you cooking at 1000 degrees?
    XL BGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Removing a safety device is ticklish with insurance companies. Leaving the screen open due to forgetfulness is one thing, but removing it might give you trouble should Murphy come calling.
    Flint, Michigan