Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Buying sausage stuffer today

I'm picking up a lem sausage stuffer and I'm looking for tips on making chicken sausages and if anyone has experience with pepperoni/snack stick making. I'm also curious on what a good size casting to buy and what type of casting taste the best.
Thanks
·

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,646

That's awesome. I love my LEM. What size stuffer are you getting? Sorry, I have noe experience with chicken sausages (although I've got a recipe I've been wanting to try out next time I make some). And none with pepperoni/snack sticks.

Do you mean casings? I prefer natural hog casings myself for most of my sausages. I have used these collagen ones for breakfast links, though, and they came out good.

I'll help out with any questions you might have, but I'm stuck at work right now and gotta get back at it. I'll try and post up some links for some sausage making sites later or you can go to TheSmokeRing.com and go to the sausage making section of the forum. Trust anything KevinP says.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Hey Griff thanks for the response. I'm going for a 5lb stuffer picking it up from bass pro. Also thinking about picking up a meat slicer
    ·
  • Always wanted to do some of that. Keep us posted
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • Bass pro is a money sucker. I almost bought a yeti while I was there. Also my wife and I got new coats and clothes.. Planned on spending $350..ended up spending $650
    ·
  • Check out cabelas for other stuff for making sausage. Their prices are normally very good. I bought my dad a 10 lb stuffer a few years back for Christmas. Also if you ever need to get a grinder, cabelas comercial grinders are AWSOME. They cost a little cheese upfront but the hold up.
    ·
  • Best chicken sausage I ever had (and helped make) was chicken breast with jalapenos and a little bit of bacon ends/pieces as a binder, stuffed into pork casings. Very simple but ridiculously good. Cut the chicken into ~2'' cubes, removed the jalapeno stems of chopped into this or quarters (seeds left in) mixed it all together with the bacon and sent it through the grinder only one on a large aperture plate then straight into casing. They were great grilled up on a wood grill. These were pre egg days. 

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,415
    I have that same stuffer.  I buy natural pork casings.  Good all-purpose edible casings.

·
  • I have the KA grinder attachment.. It works for us. I'm currently cooking pastrami.. So once it comes off I'll lower the temp and put the pepperoni on. I'm excited for it.

Some pics...
    IMG_20130928_162938_913.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    IMG_20130928_171532_442.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 3M
    IMG_20130928_183043_369.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    ·
  • Cooked them to 160....but they taste like hot dogs :( not sure what went wrong. Also the size of them is huge..compared to what you buy in a convenient store. I might throw them on the dehydrator to make them better
    ·
  • Thoughts?
    ·
  • Did you use a home made seasoning or a store bought seasoning? Also what size casing did you use? As for the dehydrator I would only try a small piece first.
    ·
  • 19mm using the 3/8 connector tip. The seasoning and cure were a hi mountain kit combo
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2013
    Ok..so after it rested it turned out ok..only problem is..I used way to much fat. All of it gathers on the bottom of the stick and it's really hard to pallet, the only meat I used fawns pork shoulder..and I'm thinking that was just way to much fat. I think I'll go again and try beef this time around, Is there a way to prevent the fat from gathering on the bottom of the stick?
    ·
  • Bumpity bump
    ·

So for the stix you just used pork shoulder? I usually find that is a perfect blend of meat to fat for sausage, but that may not be right for stix. Did you just lay them flat? Did you flip at any time? Wish I could halp you more, but like I said, I've nver done stix. So how did the stuffing part go? I thought the stuffer worked way better than when I was using my grinder as a stuffer. That was a pain.

One last thing...all I can think of is that most times when I see people do stix, they hang them. Not really an option with the egg, but I wonder if hanging them would cause the fat to drip off the bottoms?  Anyway, looks like you are off to a great start.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • I did not flip them.. And I only used pork shoulder. I love the lem stuffer.. Made easy work of the sticks. I'm going to try to use lean ground chuck next week with the hope of making less fatty sticks.
    ·

Sounds like a plan. Here is the link to a good sausage making website. I had to wait to get to my computer in my lab to find it

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/

Richardson, Texas

·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 998

I have read if you cook them at too high of a temp the fat will leach out and sit on the bottom.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·
  • I could see that. My remedy is to pop the fat build ups in the casings.. That way all the fat gets out.. Making healthier sticks
    ·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 549

@mountaindewbass

I didn't see this post earlier.

Here is a good video series about making chicken sausages but the videos also do a good job of going over the whole sausage making process.

I haven't made these sausages but they are on the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P31kfx0_sEg&list=TLYYU45mKFft8kXA5h9FArxLI2D3NlKgYK

Large BGE

·