Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

turbo vs low n slow...time question

I am bringing pulled pork to a party tomorrow at 5pm.  I cant decide if I should try turbo or start it tonight on low n slow.  It is a 9 pounder.  If I were to start at 8am in the morning doing it turbo style, how long will 9 pounds take at 300?  Will it be done by 3 to ftc?  That would be 7 hours.  Or, do I need to bring the temp up a little more?  Im leary of going over 300 to cook but I am also not sure I want a sleepless low n slow night tonight.  Thank you!

Comments

• My experiences with turbo butts has been averaging a cooking time of about one hour per pound to get the meat internal temp at 200 degrees.  That is with a 350 degree dome temp.

Living Large and XL

• MickeyMickey Posts: 12,793
    ·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours  to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! (Foil not required)
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. 
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini....

• So are you saying a 9 pounder is too big to turbo?
    busmania said:
    So are you saying a 9 pounder is too big to turbo?

NO SIR..... Just takes a fraction longer. Mine was a 7 lb. And even same size butts cook at different times, so.............

• Mickey said:
    ·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours  to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! (Foil not required)
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. 
    FTIC?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

@Little Steven   FTIC-? I googled it and got "first time in college" or "f*** this I'm crying"

• I LOVE smoke flavor.  In fact, I would naw on an oak tree if I could...Anyway, does the turbo style take away any of the smokeyness?
    busmania said:
    I LOVE smoke flavor.  In fact, I would naw on an oak tree if I could...Anyway, does the turbo style take away any of the smokeyness?
    NO

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,377
    can you start it earlier, ive lit the egg the night before, stabilized it, went to bed to wake up at 4 am, put the butt on and gone back to bed or gone fishing just to time things better
  • I did two 9 pounders turbo earlier this month.  I put them on at 300 deg (grate, not dome) around 7:30 in the morning.  Did not foil (though i should have)  Pulled about 12:30, FTC and did not serve until 6 that night as I had to transport them 200 miles before dinner - they had cooled a bit.  I find I have plenty of smoke flavor and great bark with Turbo, not sure I will bother with low and slow again.

Bottom line, I would say 4-5 hours should do it, a bit less if you foil when you hit the stall.  If I wanted to serve at 5, I would put on the grill at 10:30 AM so I had a couple of hours for FTC rest.  Good luck!
    XLBGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey said:
    @Little Steven   FTIC-? I googled it and got "first time in college" or "f*** this I'm crying"
    Foil, towels, ice chest

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• can you start it earlier, ive lit the egg the night before, stabilized it, went to bed to wake up at 4 am, put the butt on and gone back to bed or gone fishing just to time things better

Well, my first baby isn't due for another 3 weeks so im trying to avoid getting up at 4am while I can!

What if I did 250-275 degrees? 

I  basically have 7 hours to cook + 2 hours ftc + 9lbs of meat+ 8am start time - 5pm eat time.  Trying to find the perfect formula!

Mickey said:
    Foil, towels, ice chest
    oh,,,,,,,,
    ^:)^

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,208
    busmania said:
    can you start it earlier, ive lit the egg the night before, stabilized it, went to bed to wake up at 4 am, put the butt on and gone back to bed or gone fishing just to time things better

Well, my first baby isn't due for another 3 weeks so im trying to avoid getting up at 4am while I can!

What if I did 250-275 degrees? 

I  basically have 7 hours to cook + 2 hours ftc + 9lbs of meat+ 8am start time - 5pm eat time.  Trying to find the perfect formula!

It's a butt and there isn't a perfect formula. Just approximates. Congratulation on your first. Last year I cooked 48 butts during my grandson's football season and I tried to find the perfect formula but the butts dictated when they were done. It's easier to start early than to try to hurry them up. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !