Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey Legs - in brine now, but how should I grill them?

NDGNDG Posts: 1,240
Great sale at whole foods for Turkey Legs, so I grabbed some.  My wife is going to sh*t her shorts when she sees the size of them!  I started a brine this morning (salt/brown-sugar/white-sugar/bay-leaf/seasoning/worcestershire) and should be cool by lunch, so they should have a good 6 hrs in the brine tub.  

Never done them before, so wondering if you guys recommend a raised direct or a low-and-slow to soak up more smoke flavor?   

Columbus, Ohio
·

Comments

• NDGNDG Posts: 1,240
    yea lots of options - PICTURES TO COME LATER TONIGHT, but unless someone objects, think i am going with:
    • dizzy pig coffee rub 
    • low and slow 250º smoke with pecan
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,581
    Sounds good. If you ever happen to come across thighs (much less common in my experience) they turn out even better than the legs.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    edited September 2013
    400 Raised Direct.... very easy cook. I like to use coffee rub or Butt Rub.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    whole foods had the thighs as well, so I will have to grab them next time!  

I am starting to realize that a low-and-slow cook at 250 will take 4-6 hours for these legs to reach internal temp of 170F . . Grrrrrrrrrrr.  I might go higher temp around 350 indirect to cut down the cooking time to 2-3 hours - hope it works out.  
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·

The legs (cooked to 180) above was an hour cook. I do a whole 12lb spatchcocked turkey in 1.5 hours cooking the same way.

·
    Make your own coffee rub (easy):  
    Coffee Rub         (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from  MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup  Instant Expresso Ground coffee  and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. 

·
  • I like doing Turkey at about 375 indierect for a quicker cook. Since turkey dries out easily. With a brine the moisture and flavor should be great.
    ·
    flavor WAS great but not sure this will be a repeat meal for us - here are pics.  I pulled them at 170, but the range in texture of dark meat from bite to bite, along with the many bones/tendons was kinda a pain.  Only cost me $4 for both drums - so I guess I have to keep that in perspective, but starting to think I am more of a chicken guy!
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
    They are real good to pull meat and use in pot of pinto beans.

·
    Now that sounds good!  I am all for smoked turkey - but thinking this is the last time I grill up a huge drumstick and eat it like a caveman.

Not egg related, but this is one of my all time favorite turkey dishes - uses full turkey breast and makes one amazing sandwich!
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,596
    The coffee rub us freaking awesome on steaks. As far as the legs.. Pull and make smoked turkey salad. I prefer caveman style.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·