Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shopping For Salt Free Spices at Penzeys & a BGE Dealer for Dizzy Pig

Options

So we went to visit my Mom in metro Detroit last weekend and Wilma let me go shopping at Penzeys for salt free spices unsupervised.  Foolish Wilma.  Here's my haul.  I've been so blasted busy I haven't used any of them yet. 

Next, I went to Bourlier's Barbeque & Fireplace.  They're a pretty big BGE dealer who sells Dizzy Pig products.  I was looking for salt free Dizzy Dust and salt free Raging River.  I hit pay dirt!  I also found a nice BGE platter I've never seen before.  The dealer said they found some in the back room and they're probably not available anymore.  Am I a sucker?  I don't know, but I bought it! 

Lastly, I bought an after market product called The Grate Rack.  It's supposed to hold your grid and according to the dealer, it can hold a plate setter.  It installs on the nest in holes already in the nest.  I have a handler using one of those holes so I had to drill another.  Here it is installed, holding the grid and holding the plate setter. 

Thanks for looking.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Arizona Dreaming is awesome. I was sent a free sample with an order last year. Great for fajitas and tacos. Galena street is wonderful on chicken. Strong work Fred.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I noticed this week that Dizzt Pig is now on Amazon Prime (free shipping)
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Fred,
    Mural of Flavor is really good.  This is a recipe for green beans that Penzey's had in one of their monthly catalogs and we really like it.

Ingredients:

1 lb. Green beans, fresh, or Snow Peas

1/2 cup Pecans

2 tablespoons Butter, or olive oil

2 teaspoons Sesame seeds

2 teaspoons Mural of Flavor

2 teaspoons Honey

Directions:

1. Bring a pot of water  (at least 2 quarts) to a rolling boil.  This takes up to 15 minutes.  Add the green beans and cook 2 minutes.  Drain and rinse the beans to stop the cooking but leave them warm.  While the water is coming to a boil, heat the butter/oil in a medium pan and simmer on low with the pecans.

2. Once they are lightly browned, add the sesame seeds and Mural of Flavor.  Once the beans are boiling in the pot, drizzle the pecan mix with the honey, stir regularly, then when the beans have been drained and rinsed, add them to the pan and toss with the seasoned nut mix.  Place in a serving bowl.  Cover the bowl with foil and place in a warm place until ready to serve.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    We gotta give that one a rip!  Thanks VI!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Hey Fred - wasn't it you that posted about a Hobo tater pack?
    Carrot/Onion/taters - sliced with a dab of butter, wrapped in foil and egged for an hour or so. Mural of Flavor is very good sprinkled on the layers as you fill the foil. 
    Arizona Dreaming is nice shaken on prawns then hit the BarB. 
    Let me know how the Dizzy Dust is, the Raging River without salt was not to my liking. It is the only DP salt free I've tried. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Yeah, that was me with the hobo dinner.  Unfortunately me & Wilma are on the Atkins where taters and probably carrots would be frowned on.  I'm not sure I can make a hobo dinner without taters!  I'm looking forward to giving those spices a go!  Today, I fired up an egg for the first time in almost two weeks.  It was only Bubba Burgers, but I've missed the smell of charcoal.  Gotta stop being so busy!
    Flint, Michigan