Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torquing the band bolts

Options
I'll admit it. When I put the egg together I guessed at the torque setting. My 1/2 drive torque wrench only goes down to 50 ft lbs. So I bought a new torque wrench that will measure the required 10 ft lbs. Wow. I'm lucky the dome didn't fall completely off-- I wasn't even close. I must admit though it's pretty scary watching those bolts bend that much. ---just food for thought for those like me who 'guessed' the torque setting!!
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• HorseMover
    Options
    Holy crap...I torqued mine but my bolts didn't bend like that just the tabs. Maybe my torque wrench is screwed up?
    Albion, PA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It kind of bothered me too-- but the wrench is just back from being calibrated. I have to believe it-- I hope :/
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Waiting for my TW to come.Your bolts are bent just like mine but surely that's more than 10 ft/lbs you have pictured right? Has anyone ever broke of a carridge bolt I wonder?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    No. According to my tw that's 10 ft lbs. I've never seen bolts bend that much and not break either--and I've turned a lot of bolts in my life!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I saw the bend so that is what I did.  No TW so I use PFT for things like that.  ;)

My band bolts don't close up that tight on either grill.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    I made pizza last night, and my temp was only 550. My last pizza I heard an odd sound, so I looked down towards the hinge. I was lifting the lid up and down to replicate the sound, I notice that the bands had moved. I nearly **** my pants, then quickly shut the lid. Will have to adjust band when I get home. After reading, it turns out the metal does expand with heat. The bands must not have been tight enough to begin with,as the metal could not have expanded that much. I've been afraid to crank on the nut, but after seeing your pic Jeremiah, looks like a can go a little further.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Band bolts....keep 'em tight boys.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Well my bands are almost touching together I am now wondering if over tightening which mine must be can causes problems just as much as under tightening because my bands do slip at hi temp and they are as tight as I can get them strange?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I used a torque wrench and my tabs are bent but the bolts are not.
    I have had my egg for three weeks and have re- torqued them three times. I hope I don't lose my lid.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I don't have a torque wrench.  Used the bucket of water method in the manual and it seemed to work just fine.  I had to dis assemble my egg to put it in a table, and just did it by guess when I reassembled, and no problems again - nothing seems to be moving around.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I don't have a torque wrench.  Used the bucket of water method in the manual and it seemed to work just fine.  I had to dis assemble my egg to put it in a table, and just did it by guess when I reassembled, and no problems again - nothing seems to be moving around.
    @Cookinbob,
    What is the "bucket of water method"?
    Thanks...
    Long Island, NY
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Just throwing this out there, but if anyone is local to Aiken, SC, I'd be glad to come over with my torque wrench and check your bolts.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @radmo - I think what @Cookingbob was referring to is the concept of getting a a wrench with an extension (cheater pipe) that makes it about 12" long, or one foot. Put a little more than a gallon of water in a pail and it weighs about 10 pounds (A gallon is about 8.5 pounds) Hang the pail on the wrench 12 inches from the nut until it doesn't tighten anymore, voila - 10 foot pounds of torque. 
    I like the idea of using a 10 pound bag of spuds. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2013
    Options

I don't own a torque wrench but saw a picture of someones right before I assembled mine.  Cranked 'em til they looked like a half moon and then double-bolted them.  They've never budged!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• ringkingpin
    Options
    so much room for improvment on this design by BGE.  This is the only thing I've ever seen where bending bolts is considered normal, lol
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin