Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

RE: Fire died after ~6 hours

Resurrecting this thread...   Doing a slow & low with a 7# bone-in butt cut into 2 pieces.  Had an issue last time with my fire dying too soon, and was advised not to light all charcoal lumps.  So this time, I got a few embers glowing on top, put the plate setting on, closed dome & got temp to around 300.  Put on butts, adjusted vents and stayed steady at ~250 for a few hours.  Got to an IT of 160 & wanted to turbo for a bit, so opened my daisy wheel all the way AND opened bottom vent. But I'm stuck at 250!  WTF??  I should have plenty of fresh fuel down there.  Do I need to open the entire rig up & add fuel?
I am using BGE fuel, threw in a few pieces of Hickory.  Working on a MBGE, seals are fine, as far as I know.  Any ideas?  

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 19,333
    Is the opening in your firebox lined up with your bottom vent? Believe it or not that can make a world of difference. Also have you cleaned the ash accumulation out recently? A hot fire needs air from below and it sounds to me like your fire was starved.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • I have MBGE. When cleaning, rake the ash thru the bottom vent. Like @RRP says, that ensures the fire box hole is lined up, other wise the rake will not go into the bottom of the firebox. Also, turn the rake so it is hooked downward and rake out what is between the firebox and the base, thru the lower vent. 
    If you have the OEM fire grate, it might be plugging, bend a coat hanger or piece of wire and thru the bottom vent wiggle the coals above the grate, improves the air flow. (A High-Q grate makes this issue go away)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • ShrekShrek Posts: 60
    Thanks for the comments.  Determined with @Mattman3969's help that I just didn't add enough fuel.  I am religious about cleaning the smoker, so that wasn't the issue.  My technique, which I recommend is shop vac the entire thing after every 2nd or 3rd cook, depending on type of cook.  Always vac it before a slow & low.  
    But I like the tip on perfectly aligning firebox to bottom vent.  Will do that too!

Getchyer smoke on!  
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 17,597
    I turbo everything so six hours is all I would ever need. Just another reason to turbo.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 10,364
    @Mickey-Yup on the burn time but your burn rate of lump consumed/hr is much higher than the low&slow version.  Just sayin'
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36  
    ABC!!!