Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First Spatchcocked Chicken

Did my first Spatchcocked Chicken today. Direct 375 with EVOO and DP Shakin the Tree.

Comments

• You're on your way !  Congrats!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• You're on your way !  Congrats!

Thank you.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    No grease smell from the fat dripping...?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,528
    Looks good.  Welcome.
    Great job! Look's good.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• radamoradamo Posts: 372
    Looks good.  How did you like it?

Long Island, NY
  • Spatchcocked is the only way to cook a bird, in my opinion. Brined then spatchcocked is exceptional.
  • Thanks for all the nice comments. Truth be told I'm waiting for the wife to come home and try it with me.
  • Wow. What a difference in taste. I'm convinced.
  • Henapple, didn't notice a greasy taste at all.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,643
    Sure looks good. Next do a turkey the same way.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Off and running, welcome!

I wish someone had told me earlier - dry the skin and lightly dust with baking powder or corn starch and let air dry in the fridge for a few hours. Hit it with your rub and cook it just like you know how to. 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • Looks great. I do a spatched chicken pretty much weekly. Does anyone put the rub under the skin? I don't and I sometimes feel like the rub is wasted on the skin with no taste getting to the meat. 
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • PjoePjoe Posts: 224
    Thats why you brine! 1 gallon water, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup coarse salt. Overnight in the brine. Rinse and rest in fridge all day. Spatchcock and you know the rest. Works great on turkey too!
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • My first two cooks earlier this month were spatched!  Brining is definitely the way to go, the second bird I brined for only five hours and the difference was amazing. Also, on the second time around I did direct at around 400 for one hour and the skin was nice and crispy.

No complains for the spatch though.  Reverse sear steak for the first time today!