Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sain Louis Style Baby Backs

Second time using dual probe.  Can you be effective with a probe in ribs?  Put them on @ 11:30 this morning.  Currently reading 165 on the ribs and 261 on the egg.  Using the 3-2-1 method.  Any thoughts or suggestions.
MBGE, Mini BGE, Table, Accessories, Maverick Dual Probe, Growing

Comments

• The egg has now drifted to 257 the ribs are now @ 171.  What do you think?  I am concerned about using the probe in the ribs?
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,884
    My best indicators for when ribs are finished are the bend test-pick up a full rack on one end and if they bend around 90* they are finished; or the toothpick test-in and out of the thickest part of the rib meat with no resistance and you are there.  I don't use a thermo on ribs.  FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,360
    I don't use a probe either; I wait until the bone ends are adequately exposed and then do Lou's bend test to be sure.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,120
    Your rib cook is history now, but I never use a probe type to monitor ribs since placement can be tricky. What I do use though is my Thermapen to test doneness. Temp of meat between the bones needs to be 196 to 200 and I always check several places so I know I didn't hit a bone or a pocket throwing the reading off.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • Thanks for the information.  Will remember and put to use on next ribs.  Will be purchasing a Thermapen.