Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many people will a 8lb bone in Pork Shoulder feed? What should I do if it's not enough?

Doing pulled pork.
What do you think? ( I have no idea how many people are coming but I think it exceeds the number this thing will feed)
Thinking hamburgers as back up - a hamburger with pulled pork on the top as the "main thing"
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 14,954
    edited September 2013
    The rule of thumb I use is the reduced weight including removal of the bone is a loss of 40%. At that rate with your 8 pound bone in you should end up with approx. 9 cups of pulled pork. Typically a compacted one half cup makes a nice adult sandwich. Therefore that raw 8 pounder of yours should make 18 sandwiches. Will that work for you?
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 399
    Get a bunch of wings keep feeding em all night
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,966
    Add another shoulder...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,954
    henapple said:
    Add another shoulder...
    I agree...you can always use left over PP for many things so there is never a loss.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Mine always depends on how good it tastes.
    Hendersonville, TN.
    ·