Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter lifter?

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Anyone have one? Opinions on using it on an XL? I have been using insulated gloves to pull it when hot, just wondering if there is a better way. Plan to pull mine after the pork shoulder to do chicken drumsticks raised direct on a hanging rack tomorrow made me think to ask.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have one and I like it.  I don't use it a bunch, but I like it.  I burned my hands removing the platesetter using gloves and that's why I bought it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I actually just use 2 chintzy pot holders that came in a 20 buck kitchen set from when I moved into my first apartment.

I'm either a badass or a dumbass. My money is on the latter.
  • bicktrav
    Options
    That actually seems like a great idea.  I've always wondered whether the smoke flavor would come out better on a low and slow if you could just lift the plate setter to put the wood in right before you put the meat on rather than putting the wood in when you build the fire and losing all that smoke while the fire spreads and the temp stabilizes.  May have to grab one of these.
    Southern California
  • BakerMan
    Options
    Does anyone have a picture of this device? I usually use leather welding gloves form Home Depot.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    That actually seems like a great idea.  I've always wondered whether the smoke flavor would come out better on a low and slow if you could just lift the plate setter to put the wood in right before you put the meat on rather than putting the wood in when you build the fire and losing all that smoke while the fire spreads and the temp stabilizes.  May have to grab one of these.
    I get the egg stabilized without the platesetter.  Then I add the wood, platesetter, and meat all at the same time.  That way I place a nice fresh chunk of wood right on the fire as the meat is going on ensuring plenty of smoke while the meat is cold.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    I've always wondered whether the smoke flavor would come out better on a low and slow if you could just lift the plate setter to put the wood in right before you put the meat on rather than putting the wood in when you build the fire and losing all that smoke while the fire spreads and the temp stabilizes.  

Bicktrav, if you use chips instead of chunks, I use a gardening trowel to guide the chips onto the coals just before adding the meat, with the platesetter in place; works like a charm.

And what Bakerman said; no pics or link to who makes it?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use these tools on  every cook.

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    Options
    Here's the one I was referring to: http://www.dicksonbbq.com/plate-setter-lifter.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BakerMan
    Options
    That tool worries me. All the weight of the place setter is being concentrated into one narrow area to support it on the tool. I wonder if anyone has ever broken the PS with the tool. I dropped my rain cap onto my deck from about a foot high and it broke into 4-5 pieces (JB Weld to the rescue!) so I know the ceramics a brittle.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • DMW
    Options
    @BakerMan that is one of my concerns. I just pulled my platesetter with gloves again with no problem, so I think I'm gonna pass at least for now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I use these tools on  every cook.

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html
    I have the third hand from.  Very useful.  It can lift a hot grid and can hang a dirty or hot grid instead of finding a place to put it down.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Robsgrill
    Options

I wouldn't worry about the lifter from Dickson Barbeque Centre. I use it all the time and no accidents. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792PjegJT9E&feature=share&list=UUO9LPV8uC0LwjBIdp2PLIKg

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I usually use gloves and have never had an issue.  But before I ever bought anything, I'd just use a pair of pliers or something.  I've probably got a couple dozen tools that would do the job the same way.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    Here is what Steve from Memphis had @ Eggtoberfest, the Plate Plucker. Credit to JV for the photo.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Like Mickey I use channel locks, but only one pair with my home made ash tool. Most time when I move the setter I have my CI grid under it getting ready for a reverse sear, so I space the setter with some scrap tile strips. This allows a gap to get the ash tool and channel locks under the setter. Once out of the egg is is set down right beside it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    Options
    @Skiddymarker How do you position the CI under the PS?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The Ci grid sits on the fire ring, a couple of tile scraps act as fireproof spacers. The spacers make it easy to get my ash tool and channel locks under the setter to pick it up. 
    Developed this to do a reverse sear. The CI grid will be smoking hot during the low and slow part of the cook as it is exposed to burning lump and it gets all the heat reflected from the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dawsonc61
    Options
    What about the PSWOO2 or PSWOO3 from ceramicgrillstore.com? Tom demo'd it for me the other night but in the end convinced me to get the adjustable rig. Seems to be a really well made device that allows you to remove everything and slide the plate setter in or out while not being right over the fire.