Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 Pork Butts on an XL

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
My buddy asked if I would be interested in doing pulled pork for his roofing company picnic. Umm...yeah... Pork shoulder/butt is a great go-to. Also, anyone know why pics from a smartphone (Galaxy S3 in this case) are rotated 90*?
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Does it with most iPhone pics too. For the iPhone, you either have to take horizontal pics, or crop the pic for it to not post sideways. It may be the same with your phone.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks like you could have easily done 4 more ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    Yeah, probably would not have needed to use the raised grid. What's the consensus on the importance of not having them touch each other?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • @DMW:  In my experience, having them start out touching one another doesn't really affect anything.  They shrink up and crust over just the same.  I do two 5-7 lb. butts in my LBGE frequently, they often start out touching, and they always turn out great.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Take pics with the home button to the right with the phone horizontal. I have the same phone and post with no issues.
  • I'm planning on throwing some pork butts on my XL this weekend. These are my first ones to do. Any tips on temp, foil, etc, and how long will this approximately take? Thanks in advance!
    Houston, TX
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    looks like you could have gotten another 4 on there! 
  • @Orthobear:  I rub mine down and cook 'em at about 230-240*F, no foil, fat side down, usually with a nice big chunk of hickory (although I've used fruit woods to good effect, as well).  If they're boneless, I don't tie them.  

I pull when the temp hits 200*F and the probe slides in and out like butter, and then FTC for at least an hour to let the juices "set."  Usually takes me roughly two hours a pound for a single butt.  If you're doing multiple butts, I haven't found that it takes much longer, if any longer at all, than cooking one - so long as they are around the same size.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • I just did 6 8+ lb butts on my XL. Two more would've fit but I gave them all some leg room
  • Thanks SaturdayFatterday! I'm letting the digiQ settle in at 250 then they're going on! They have a bone but I didn't tie them. Hopefully I can get them off in one piece when they're ready!
    Houston, TX
  • DMW
    @Orthobear I never tie mine and never have a problem getting them off. Keep the temp around that and maybe bump it up to 250* to the end if you need to. Very forgiving meat on a low n slow. The smell in the morning is amazing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Thanks DMW! I hope mine turn out like yours did! Yours look great!
    Houston, TX
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have done four on each of my larges many times.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 16
    I have done 4- 8-9 lb'ers at on time on a large.... Stood on edge and laced together with large bamboo skewers to keep them from falling over....turned out just like doing one at a time!
    Always having fun with the BGE!