Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

BGE Dual Probe Wireless Remote Therm vs Egg therm gauge

Cooking some chicken right now .... don't have time to research so I need some help.  My new BGE Dual Probe tells me the temp inside the egg is 376 but the Egg temperature gauge says about 400?  Which do I trust?  I set the Dual Probe towards the back where its hotter.

Thanks

Scott

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. -  John Wayne

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,784
    Dome temp vs grid temp is what you are likely seeing. The dome will always read hotter by about the difference you see. 

Another reason could be that the dome thermo needs recalibration. My money is on the former.
  • shurtshurt Posts: 13
    Thanks ...
  • As noted above on indirect cooks the dome will read higher than the grid, on direct cooks, the grid will be hotter than the dome as it is exposed to IR of burning lump. I do not use my Mav when cooking direct. Dome is close enough, and I calibrate it every month or so if I suspect a problem. 
    @shurt - if you were cooking indirect, your temps are just about perfect. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • shurtshurt Posts: 13
    As noted above on indirect cooks the dome will read higher than the grid, on direct cooks, the grid will be hotter than the dome as it is exposed to IR of burning lump. I do not use my Mav when cooking direct. Dome is close enough, and I calibrate it every month or so if I suspect a problem. 
    @shurt - if you were cooking indirect, your temps are just about perfect. 

Thanks again ... the chicken cooked for a little over an hour at 370 and then I used the meat therm and it was right on target.  Probably got lucky for my first indirect cook on chicken because he came out perfect.  Again .. thanks to skiddymarker and eggcelsior.