Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs advice

Options
mrjwhit
mrjwhit Posts: 83
Please forgive me if this was discussed before. I did my 1st rack of beef ribs this weekend. While preparing them I tried to pull the membrane off like with pork ribs. It wouldn't come off at all. I just cooked the rack with it on. How could I have gotten it off? Any suggestions? 
Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com

Comments

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    The membrane has to be cut off, not an easy task, just watch your fingers. I did beef ribs this weekend also, indirect @ 225 - 250 using the 3-2-.5 method.  How did you cook yours?
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    mrjwhit said:
    Please forgive me if this was discussed before. I did my 1st rack of beef ribs this weekend. While preparing them I tried to pull the membrane off like with pork ribs. It wouldn't come off at all. I just cooked the rack with it on. How could I have gotten it off? Any suggestions? 
    I use a butter knife and slide it under the membrane and wiggle it back and forth and the membrane  usually peels off.  You have to be careful but you don't need to use a sharp knife.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    Options
    with the big beef racks i gave up trying
    :)) its thick when cooked and i just eat around it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    You could always ask the butcher to do it for you as well.  Taking it off is a must so you get all that seasoning goodness.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Only the top layer, paper like membrane will pull off. If you're trying to pull off that whole membrane it isn't going to happen. I usually slide a paring knife between the "paper like" membrane and the thick white fatty membrane and using a paper towel pull it off.

Hope this helps. TD

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser