Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first two weeks on my Big Green Egg (pic heavy)

First off, a very big thanks to the posters on this forum! The content on this forum is fantastic and I found an answer for just about everything.

I've had my LBGE for two weeks and thought I'd post some of my cooks. I still have a lot to learn, it's been a blast so far.

After delivery I discovered that my BGE had this underbite:
Called the dealer and they told me about loosening all the bolts and realigning the band, after a few attempts it got better. The dollar test showed I had a good seal. They also came out and did the dollar test and said I was fine.

Ok, so first up was a beer can chicken on my very clean BGE! The chicken came out pretty good, nice and juicy, but didn't have the golden brown crispy look I had seen from others. 

Next up...Some chicken wings, cooked direct. Oh my GOSH! They were amazing! Very crispy on the outside and so juicy inside!

Next up a nice big 1.5 inch T-Bone steak. This was my first try doing a reverse sear. Came out really great. Next time I plan on shortening the 1st phase and doing the searing part a little longer.

Next up Lamb Chops, also reverse seared and this time came up perfectly! My brother in law still can't stop talking about it:

Next up Ribs! Here I totally cheated. I did 2 hours indirect at a low heat, and then cooked direct here for 30 minutes. Next time I plan on following the 3-2-1 rule. The family was in a hurry that day...But still, the best ribs I've made ever!

Pizza. The BGE makes the best pizza! This was my 3rd pizza, in the session. I had initially the legs down on the plate setter and the pizza wasn't cooking so sell underneath, I turned the platesetter around for the 2nd pizza, and it was much better, my 3rd was the bomb. My mistake was also that I didn't give the pizza stone enough time to get really hot. 

Thanks to all!

Terry

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice job on the cooking! Looks you're off to a great start. Welcome to the addiction!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Looking good man. Welcome aboard.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Looks great and enjoy the ride.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    That's a great start on your BGE journey.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,034

Congrats and good luck with your new egg.  Nothing like that "white ceramic" look of a new egg.

Bon Appetit

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    You've done more in 2 weeks than a lot did. I know I wasn't that productive when I got mine! Everything looks wonderful.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Very nice, looks like you have more than a hang of "how stuff works". And nice pic too.

Welcome and please post more.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• great read and pics!

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I love it when a new owner jumps onto the forum and posts a ton of great looking cooks. Very nice intro to the scene. You're already cooking like a pro, it looks like. Can't wait to see what else you come up. You've set the bar high for yourself. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hi,

Thanks to all for the comments, here are my lessons/notes learned:

1. Record everything, temperature (dome/grill), cooking times, everything!
    2. Start the BGE early. Sure..the BGE is quick to start but being a newbie, it takes me a little longer to get the temp just right. The wife wasn't too happy when the family had a late dinner.
    3. Make a mental note at hardware store/supermarkets to look for lump coal. Here in Sacramento there don't seem to be too many choices other than "Lazari".
    4. Need to beef up my handyman skills to try build a table!
    5. Wife is now referred to as SWMBO.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    terry_b said:
    Hi,

Thanks to all for the comments, here are my lessons/notes learned:

1. Record everything, temperature (dome/grill), cooking times, everything!
    2. Start the BGE early. Sure..the BGE is quick to start but being a newbie, it takes me a little longer to get the temp just right. The wife wasn't too happy when the family had a late dinner.
    3. Make a mental note at hardware store/supermarkets to look for lump coal. Here in Sacramento there don't seem to be too many choices other than "Lazari".
    4. Need to beef up my handyman skills to try build a table!
    5. Wife is now referred to as SWMBO.

#5 means you learned well, young Padawan. This guarantees happiness and more importantly, long life.