Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shakin Hands With My Wok

Options
I recently purchased a wok and have completed 2 fried rice cooks (semi-sucessful).  My issue is even with with highly rated welding gloves purchased from Amazon, my hand is getting extremely hot in a short amount of time.  Does anyone have a specific brand and model that they have had a good experience with? I also have a stainless steel wok spatula that is taking off some the seasoning from my wok - should I ditch it and go bamboo or will the wok "toughen up" the more I use it?  Thanks!

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Do you have the wok with metal ring handles instead of an extended wooden handle? I have some good elbow length welding gloves, but I can't hold the wok when it's ramped up. I'm not sure that's ever really going to happen.

I too use a metal spatula and notice I get some scratches in the seasoning. It doesn't seem to cause sticking out anything, and over a few cooks it seems to have diminished.

Love the wok/egg combination.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

If you ever go into a Chinese kitchen you will only see metal spatulas and spoons in the woks.  The patina over time will have no damage done to it.

Some Wok thoughts!

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1277637&catid=1

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

These are the best I have ever come up with.  Actually terry cloth.  Machine washable (due for a monthly trip to the washer now!) and super-efficient.  I can pick up a pizza stone that has been at cooking heat for quite a while and then look around for a place to set it, no rush.  Same with any metal like cooking grid, whatever.

Amazon.com, search for Bel-Art Clavies Auto Clavie Gloves.  $28 a pop, and just great!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Ooops, I goofed.  I bought the 13" size at $23.  They do show an 18" length at $28 but I didn't think I'd need the longer size.  I'm very happy with these.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't know if you'll find this helpful, but Indian grocery stores usually have these pincer/pliers type things:

You use it to grab a hot pot on the stove, to stabilize it while you stir. It works well with woks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.