Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Question

Happy Labor Day folks!!

After 13 or so years it is now time to replace my gasket.  Yesterday while doing some ribs at one point late in the cook I was unable to keep my grid temp at 220deg using my Digi Q.  After a little investigation I found that I had a 3" or so section of gasket at the rear of the egg near the hinge mechanism that had failed.   Although I had no smoke coming at that point I strongly suspect that my inability to maintain my low temp was caused by the failed gasket.

Which gasket is everyone using these days? 

Appreciate the comments in advance.

Thanks

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    I use nomex. No problems thus far.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035

Thanks.  Does BGE sell the nomex gasket?  Is it self sticking or must you use a spray adhesive?

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Contact @RRP and put on the Rutland. It's easy, affordable, and will last for a lifetime. He's a great resource and a great guy.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • 13 years on one Gasket? Wow I blew thru one in two months this summer with pizza and flat bread cooks!
    HFX NS
  • RajunCajun
    I actually replaced my lower (or upper..don't remember) right after I bought the egg 13yrs ago and fried it doing a high temp (>700deg) sear.  Since then I have taken it easy on the temps and have had absolutely no problems.  Yesterday I struggled halfway thru my cook to keep the temp around 225 or so.
  • FWIW-I don't have a gasket and it maintains temp just as well as when I do.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480

Thanks.  Does BGE sell the nomex gasket?  Is it self sticking or must you use a spray adhesive?

BGE did upgrade their gasket material but I'm unsure of the manufacturer. It is self adhesive. I scraped the old one off with a putty knife then prepped the surface with acetone before applying the new gasket material. I purchased mine off eBay....
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

+1 @Black_Badger.  I replaced my large gasket with a Rutland from RRP.

You only have to replace the gasket on the base.  Very quick and easy job and Ron Pratt is a class act. The instructions he sends along make it simple!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RajunCajun

Cen, do you do low temp cooks?  I've done briskets and ribs at low temps many, many times and never had a problem.  Yesterday I was concerned because after 3 or so hours into the cook the temp seemed to continue climbing even with the Digi Q set to 220ish and the daisy wheel completely shut.  I baby sat the darn thing to finish the cook, but I am nearly 100% certain that the small leak was just enough air to fuel the fire.

Thanks for the info

• Cen, do you do low temp cooks?  I've done briskets and ribs at low temps many, many times and never had a problem.  Yesterday I was concerned because after 3 or so hours into the cook the temp seemed to continue climbing even with the Digi Q set to 220ish and the daisy wheel completely shut.  I baby sat the darn thing to finish the cook, but I am nearly 100% certain that the small leak was just enough air to fuel the fire.

Thanks for the info

I've done a few ;) I did a brisket Saturday night for 20 hrs. No issues.
  • I don't use a pit controller though so that may be enough to keep the fan running or something.
  • I have the Cotronics woven ceramic ones if you need a length of it. I've been running that on my three eggs for the last 4-5 yrs.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I have the Cotronics woven ceramic ones if you need a length of it. I've been running that on my three eggs for the last 4-5 yrs.

Are the Cotronics self stick or do you have to use adhesive?

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• You have to use super 77 or ultra- copper. Their self stick gaskets will not hold up to the heat per their tech dept.....".the self adhesives are for positioning purposes only.". Their ceramic glue failed on me too, but I have a feel I botch the install.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    @stlcharcoal Thanks

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I just bought a self adhesive nomex from HiQue.  I have yet to put it on but will report back when complete
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Currently have a 10 month old High-Q Nomex on my MBGE. it has been thru a number of pizza cooks and a couple of 700º cleans, still working like a champ. 
    My next gasket will be a Cotronics, stuck on with Super 77 as @stlcharcoal indicates. Have a friend who went that way with his KJ. Unlike the Rutland, which is a great gasket for wood stoves with no food safety claim, Cotronics is made to be food safe. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!