Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Not wrapping vs wrapping a brisket....

I have had a 13lbs brisket on for 12hrs at 235F dome temp and wanted some input weather to wrap the brisket or not to.

• I did one about that size yesterday. I ended up wrapping it. I wanted it to be tender and didn't want to take my chances with it.
  • portaporta Posts: 88
    I would wrap, I produce a better product when I do. With a pork butt it really doesn't matter, I feel w/ a Brisket it makes a world of difference.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,022
    I've done 9 or 10 full packer briskets over the last year and a half and have never wrapped.  I always do them at 225 grid.  My opinion is that if you pull the brisket at the exact right time, it will always be juicy and tender.  I start checking for "doneness" (probe goes in and out like butter) in the flat at 185 degrees.  I check it every 10 minutes after that in a differnt area of the flat until I get the probe in and out resistance I like.  I have reached the correct resistance as low as 192 and as high as 205.  1 or 2 degrees over or under the correct resistance will either make the brisket dry (over) or chewy (under).  Since I have started checking every 10 minutes after hitting 185, I have always had juicy and tender brisket. I don't think it is rocket science - just very close monitoring.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I have cooked about 40 or so full packer briskets in the last year. I have not wrapped one. I used to wrap to speed up cooking and to help tenderize the brisket but I noticed my bark would tend to soften and would easily rub off. I decided to quit wrapping until after the cook (I use butcher paper because I think it keeps the bark crispy) and I also decided to start smoking at 300* dome. Those two changes gave me a great bark and a quicker cook time. I target around 196* in the flat but check from about 190* on for tenderness, when the probe goes in like butter, it is done. I don't think there is one way that is best, many competition cooks wrap briskets and take home checks. I personally like the bark and color I get when I let it go unwrapped the whole time and the higher dome temp lets me get a brisket done in as little as 6 hours many days. If you wrap this one, try cooking at a higher temp and not wrapping next time to see which suits your taste and the amount of time you have to smoke it.