Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question

Options
I put on a 9 pound choice at 3 am pt, 250 with digi q and flat is already at 185, 5 1/2 hours in. That seems fast. Think the stall is coming up or is this just a fast cooking piece of meat?

Was figuring an hour, hour 15 per pound

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Therm is in the thickest point of the flat and calibrated? If so, chalk it up to meat having a mind of its own. If you trust the reading, pull at 203° and enjoy in an hour or so.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks, chris. It's at 197 according to my thermapen. Feels like it needs to get a little over 200 til it's done. Could be done in a little over 8 hours of cooking time, which is odd but it's looking great. Prob gonna FTC for 3 or 4 hours.

I was gonna put it on at midnight last night but I fell asleep and woke up at 2 am and got it going. Ooooops
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Options
    Pulled at 202, just under 9 hours. Now ftc'ing for 3 hours.
  • timothyloerke
    Options
    anez, the same thing happened to me.  I smoked a 12lb packer brisket (point and flat together).  I didn't take into account the amount of fat I cut off.  All in all, it took about 45min per pound.  There wasn't a stall like I was expecting...it did seem to stall around 185 but that doesn't seem like a true stall.  The brisket still turned out delicious.  I have to wrap it in foil and throw it in the oven at 175 to keep it warm...since it finished way too early.  It was a little dry for me but my guests couldn't tell.  I'll adjust next time.  How did it turn out?
    LGBE August 2013

Louisville, KY