Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Burgers: dome open or down?

How do you do your burgers? Open or closed?

Comments

• always closed unless you are nuke searing something by the lump bed.

Keeping it Weird in the ATX
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    everything cooked on the egg should be done with the lid closed it is designed to work closed ,open you might as well use a gasser 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 205
    Closed.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Nick2cdNick2cd Posts: 49
    Closed.  i normally do high temp sear.  never tried going low and slow with burgers or indirect, but I've seen some good successes via that method.  i'll try it someday.  
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,038
    Wokking with lid open.  Burgers with lid closed.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,182
    dlk7 said:
    Wokking with lid open.  Burgers with lid closed.
    +1
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,033
    Closed!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 964
    edited August 2013
    Lid up. I cook a fatty burger on cast iron at high heat close to the fire. The lid down causes my burger to sit in a plume of rancid smoke from the fat pouring in the fire. I did lid down for years, and switched to this method recently and love it.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3, Blackstones

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,601
    When I grind my own, 80/20 mix (or there about) raised direct dome closed. If I buy ground beef , it is too lean so I usually go indirect to 140-150º IT, pull and then reverse sear. Burgers shrink less and have great taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,993
    If your looking, it ain't cooking.  You want to cook with the dome up, just buy a hibachi.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

• GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 460
    If your looking, it ain't cooking.  You want to cook with the dome up, just buy a hibachi.

Nah, there's no rules. Can work either way. Nobodys cares except for how good it tastes....
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,642
    You can do it either way.  You're not going to hell or get arrested if you cook with the top up.  That said, there's no reason to keep the top up unless you're flippin' and moving stuff around.  You get more oxygen and flare-ups with the lid open - it's a more chaotic fire. 

I close the lid if I'm not tending the food.  The smoke is more concentrated, you get reflected heat from the dome, higher humidity more of all the good stuff.

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Nah... To BGE Hell you go if lid is open. :D

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,642
    Yeah, you right....you go straight to hell. :D

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,953
    For burgers, closed.  I put wood chips in and it smokes like crazy.  For low and slow, I use chunks, but for something fast like burgers, chips ... normally hickory or pecan.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,617
    I did burgers last Night. I didn't get the acrid taste I did the first time. I jacked up the temp to 450-500 and didn't get the bad taste. Going to try reverse sear next time.