Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What's the best way to re-heat brisket?

bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 736
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

Planning a brisket cook this weekend but will be short on time. So, I was thinking of cooking it ahead of time and then, re-heating it. Have anyone done this before? Any practical experience or tips to help me out? What IT do you cook it the first time? How did you re-heat? What do you use and how long?

Thanks for sharing.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,203
    For a whole brisket, I'd either use the oven or put it back on the Egg, around 275.
    When I chop a chunk off my leftovers just for myself, I wrap it in foil and steam it.

I go for an internal temp of 200, and sometimes a bit higher if it still feels a bit stiff (you'll get a feel for a properly-cooked one with just a bit of practice).  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,516
    I've only done it once and made it up as I went, but I got good results.  I cooked it initially until it was done - probe went in like "buttah" at a meat temp of 201, so I took it off.  I let it sit in foil for about an hour (I don't think this step is necessary, I just wasn't sure what else to do with a brisket that I wouldn't serve for 13 more hours).  Then I put the foiled brisket in the refrigerator. Just like @Botch, I put it on the oven at 275, because 300 seemed too hot and I thought it might not just "warm" it, but it would "cook" it more - and I didn't want that.  In about an 1 hour and 15 minutes it was above room temperature so I put it in a cooler with towels (FTC) and transported it to a party.  I sliced it at the party.  Some native Texan BBQ foodies told me it was as good as any brisket they had ever eaten so I guess it worked.  If I had it to do over again, the only thing I would change is that I would rewarm it a little longer to get it to a higher temperature... although once you slice it, it will be at room temp in about 5 minutes so it probably doesn't matter.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·