Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Clean Burn Mistake

Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,339
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I was about an hour into a clean burn on my XL.  The egg was just under 700* when I decided I should add the stone for my Woo and a little more charcoal to extend the burn time since I was just running on about a 1/4 load of coals. The lid opened fine but when I went to shut it, it shifted.  I could feel the bands had expanded and the lid was loose. It came down an inch out of position.   I wrestled it back into position best I could given it is pretty warm.  It is now sitting pretty much where it should.  However, I can see that on the back-left side, it is sitting probably 1/16 to 1/8" off the bottom, providing a big air gap.  It is sitting fine (i.e. flush on the bottom) everywhere else. 

Should I deal with the gap after cools down tomorrow or do I need to try to adjust it now while it is hot? 
Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,050
    Let it cool down as you may have other issues to deal with as well.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 343
    Too hot to deal with now.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • Mud PigMud Pig Posts: 459
    edited August 2013
    Don't sweat it, my XL does that when its over 600 degrees for an hour or more. Keep it closed and once it cools it will be fine without any issues. Gaps will lose and bands will re-align.
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,219
    Funny you post this thread.  I was just realigning the band and tightening the bolts on my XL Egg. The band on the right side of the top of the dome had shifted down, so I wanted to get it back on well.

I have about a 1/8" underbite on my Egg now, but I'll figure out how to adjust that and get it straightened out as well.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,339
    Thanks.  I'll chill.  I've felt it get wobbly from the heat before, but not as bad as this time, but I rarely do 600+ for any sustained time.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,339
    Took a quick look this morning.  Definitely will have to play the bands.  The gap might be as much as 1/4".  Almost looks like the hinge is bent a bit on the side that is sticking up.

May need to remove the remaining gasket too.
    ·