Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatballs on the Large with a side of chicken

Options
I like to prep food on the weekends that i can use to feed the family through the week.  I did a batch of meatballs (for meatball subs) and a few chicken breasts that will be used in various meals this week (wraps, salads, pasta, etc).  apple wood was used for smoke.  meatballs were cooked to an internal of 160.  i've done less than 15 cooks on my egg thus far, hence the amber color of the ceramic....but i must say, I LOVE THIS THING!  i own another kamado, so im not new to the kamado game, but this egg is a definite game changer.  can't wait to do more with it.  thanks for looking

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good @Nick2cd and welcome aboard. Smart thinking on cooking ahead on Sundays. I try to do that when I can, but yesterday I was so busy going to the movies with my wife (We're the Millers is hilarious, btw) and then taking an extra long nap that it never happened. Sometimes lazy Sundays prevail.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Nick2cd
    Nick2cd Posts: 49
    Options
    I think I have the pictures figured out.
  • bcran
    bcran Posts: 37
    Options
    Care to share your setup/temp/recipe for the meatballs?  I've been wanting to try them!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Ha Ha!  It's really neat to see a new, virginal egg just starting to show it's smoke!

=D>
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Nick2cd
    Nick2cd Posts: 49
    Options
    bcran said:
    Care to share your setup/temp/recipe for the meatballs?  I've been wanting to try them!
    no problem!  i use ground chuck (beef) 85% : 15%.  i did 1lb of beef and added 2 eggs, a splash of milk, some bread crumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and some italian seasoning (oregano, basil, parsley).  mix all together and use an ice-cream scoop or something uniform to portion out the mixture.  i cooked them indirect over the plate setter at about 285 degrees.  i cooked the meatballs to an internal temp of 160.  add bbq sauce or a nice red marinara sauce and you'll be all set!  sorry about the lack of specific measurements.  i just eyeball most of it.  break off a small piece and cook it in a skillet to taste it and adjust spices.
  • bcran
    bcran Posts: 37
    Options
    Nick2cd said:
    bcran said:
    no problem!  i use ground chuck (beef) 85% : 15%.  i did 1lb of beef and added 2 eggs, a splash of milk, some bread crumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and some italian seasoning (oregano, basil, parsley).  mix all together and use an ice-cream scoop or something uniform to portion out the mixture.  i cooked them indirect over the plate setter at about 285 degrees.  i cooked the meatballs to an internal temp of 160.  add bbq sauce or a nice red marinara sauce and you'll be all set!  sorry about the lack of specific measurements.  i just eyeball most of it.  break off a small piece and cook it in a skillet to taste it and adjust spices.
    Sorry, just getting back to this...sounds great.  Going to try it this weekend!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks terrific!  I think I dirtied my Eggs worse than that after only one or two cooks.  :))  Yours still looks brand new!