Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Strength of plate setter

Smoking a 15 # turkey tomorrow. Want to cook indirect....should I place bird and container directly on plate setter or on the grid w/plate setter legs up? Bottom line...is the plate setter strong enough to support the bird for 5 hrs? Thanks! 
Fairview, Texas
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    Legs up drip pan, then grid and bird. Yes it will support that cook...
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,653
    Air gap that drip pan from the platesetter.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Your platesetter will easily handle your bird. Legs up and if you use a drip pan, I agree with an air gap. Yuo can do this with a few pieces of foil rolled up under the pan.
    ·
  • What's the air gap for?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

In Durham, NC, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,584
    Keep the drippings from burning... I still keep a little water in it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • What's the air gap for?

+1
    Doing one on Friday, so looking to learn here also.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,688
    Hit your local hardware store and pick up four 1/2 or 5/8 inch nuts.  They are perfect for air space and will never wear out.  You can't cook enough to need to buy more!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    There's really no reason to put the plate setter legs down. Besides it always gives you a spot for a drip pan with the legs up.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • nemonemo Posts: 105
    Bird is 3 hrs into the cook. Went indirect, plate setter legs up and grid on PS legs. Bird on V rack in TF container...added wine and chicken to container. Placed onion, celery, garlic and celery in bird cavity. Covered bird with italian season and rub mixture. Container with bird placed on grid...350* dome temp. Looking good at this time...it'll probably cook for another hour or so. Will check temp to be sure...legs of 185* is my goal.

Next time I'll cook it directly on the plate setter...with spacing nuts that jaydub mentioned. Thanks jaydub!

Fairview, Texas
    ·
  • The guy who sold me my XL did a 50# pig in a pan directly on his PS legs up in a Large.  If it can hold that u should be ok.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,584
    @Nemo... Keep us updated...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,169
    jaydub58 said:
    Hit your local hardware store and pick up four 1/2 or 5/8 inch nuts.  They are perfect for air space and will never wear out.  You can't cook enough to need to buy more!
    I use three pennies in each corner.
    ·
  • nemonemo Posts: 105
    First time to send a pic....hope it comes through.
    Fairview, Texas
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,494
    Look's good from here!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • Beautiful!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·