Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Country-Style Ribs

BotchBotch Posts: 3,885
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
Country-style Ribs:

I've never tried the "3-2-1" method of making ribs before, so I gave it a shot today.    
I wrote up a list for the grocery store to make my own barbeque sauce, but I went to the farmer's market first in downtown Ogden and found a lady who canned her own barbeque sauce, so I bought a pint from her instead.  Very tasty, and she wasn't afraid to use a few chipotles!  Also picked up local tomatoes, peaches, and peppers; ended up only buying apple juice and a foil pan at the grocery store.  
Smoked the ribs until they hit 160.  Put them in the foil pan and covered with 1 part of that barbeque sauce, 3 parts apple juice, covered with foil, and placed it back in the Egg.  
The ribs hit 200 after only an hour, so I took them out and let them rest in the liquid while I heated the Egg up to grilling temperature.  I spread half the ribs with the barbeque sauce, left half plain, and grilled them (they were done in 15 minutes).  So, my "3-2-1" was actually a "3-1-0.25".  
They were very tasty, and moist (I did forget to brine the ribs, which I usually do, but the foil cooking probably replaced it).  I don't usually foil my ribs, and I'm not sure it was worth the trouble, but had to try it once.  I [i]do[/i] think next Saturday I'll find that lady and buy a few more pints of her sauce, good stuff!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  

Comments

• Thanks for this. I have a couple pounds of country style pork ribs thawing right now.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,463
    It's great finding a good local sauce/spice/jelly etc. at a farmer's market.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,885
    edited August 2013
    Ragtop99 said: It's great finding a good local sauce/spice/jelly etc. at a farmer's market.

True dat!  I rode down on my motorcycle so I was limited as to the things I could buy; there were some fantastic-looking loaves and pastries that I was drooling over but didn't have the ability to carry... 
    The Ogden market also has a lot of local artists.  As I was leaving I saw a woman making rugs with an old-fashioned, manual loom.  I had to watch her for a few minutes, never actually understood how they worked but it was cool to see the process!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 372
    I'll have to try that, sounds very good. 
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.