Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low smoke flavor lump.

Options
I know all we need us another lump thread I am starting this one to tell the people who's better half think the egg food is to smokey. Been there myself and I agreed with her when it came to Portebello mushrooms.
Tonight was a test cause usually I do the Ports on the gasser. This was my first run with Rockwood and after smelling the smoke when it went clear I thought that it was nuetral enough I would try the Ports and not tell her any different. She actually commented on how good the veggies turned out. I was cooking raised direct at 475*.

Rockwood could be your solution, it sure seems like it was mine.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    Do I see a pallet in our future? Lol
    Southern Indiana
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I want do a hot and fast before I decide but my guess is "yes"

BTW - Sorry we couldn't meet up for the OO and RW trade off.

analyze adapt overcome

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    We will get it done. No problems on my end...I didn't have to reload it :)
    Southern Indiana
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    My 6yr old son complained a lot about to much smoke on the food when I was using BGE lump & RO lump. Since I've switched to Rockwood he has started to eat more of my cooks & has even complimented me on the food. It is without a doubt a more mild smoke compared to the others I've used. I really like the fact that you get a more controlled smoke flavor with Rockwood by simply adding your own wood chips or chunks to the fire when doing slow cooks. These are my thoughts anyway. Nice looking meal there!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks RickyBobby

analyze adapt overcome

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I haven't met a lump yet that can't be turned tasteless (smokeless):

1.) Wait until the smoke looks like the back of a jet engine (clear/foggy smoke).
    2.) Control the egg temp with the bottom vent (leave the top DFMT off) so there's no stale smoke lingering.

* I've make cookies, bread, pretzels, etc with no smoke flavor whatsoever doing it this way with many different brands of lump.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mattman3969
    Options
    For the most part I agree with you Choke It all has to do with temp and air flow. I have done pastries and bread with no lingering smoke flavor with RO and other lumps but when it comes to Ports I have never had one that didn't seem overpowered by smoke until I used Rockwood.

Not arguing just stating what my experience was tonight.

analyze adapt overcome

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Checked Rockwood's website, looks like it's only available in Missouri/southern IL.  Too bad, would give it a try...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Checked Rockwood's website, looks like it's only available in Missouri/southern IL.  Too bad, would give it a try...
    What part of the country are you in? We're expanding into three new territories by the end of the year, so maybe you'll see some bags appear. Also, there are quite a few group buys forming right now......some on this board, some not.

In the meantime, our online dealer is http://www.ozarkspa.com
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I want do a hot and fast before I decide but my guess is "yes"

Stand back and make sure you burp the egg. You'll have flames shooting out the top in no time.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up, Jonathan!! That means it should be good on reverse sears. Can't wait, so far I am impressed

analyze adapt overcome

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Thanks for the heads up, Jonathan!! That means it should be good on reverse sears. Can't wait, so far I am impressed

Rockwood is awesome. You'll be quite pleased. If I was a dealer I'd sell it exclusively.