Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good deal on Hickory

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
I guess I am cheap, but I hate paying $7.00 for a 5 lb bag of smoking chunks when the trees grow wild.  Today I visited an Amish sawmill, picked up a few slabs of Hickory ( 80 to 100 lbs by my estimation) for $7.50.   I think I am set for at least a year, even if I give some to my son.  Weekend activities will include breaking these down into appropriate size chunks. 

I also use Apple which I pick up from a local apple farm market.  A "car pack" of apple firewood is $15 and covers me for a couple of years from a smoking standpoint.
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I hate paying for the stuff. Right now I pay 7.99/9lb bag of Apple or Cherry or Mesquite. I have all the hickory i could want for free on our land but that gets old after a while. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i dont like paying for it either, ive resorted to hickory bark, found 4 trees nearby to pick from, do need to hit the orchard again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it