Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Good deal on Hickory

CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,227
I guess I am cheap, but I hate paying $7.00 for a 5 lb bag of smoking chunks when the trees grow wild.  Today I visited an Amish sawmill, picked up a few slabs of Hickory ( 80 to 100 lbs by my estimation) for $7.50.   I think I am set for at least a year, even if I give some to my son.  Weekend activities will include breaking these down into appropriate size chunks. 

I also use Apple which I pick up from a local apple farm market.  A "car pack" of apple firewood is $15 and covers me for a couple of years from a smoking standpoint.
hickory2.jpg
1029 x 871 - 193K
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments