Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lo and slow butt time

I plan on cooking a two pack of Costco butts for lunch tomorrow.  I woud like to cook between 225 and 250.  What should that average time per pound be?
Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners

Comments

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,359
    Depends entirely on the size of the butts.

I would go for between 250 and 275 and count on around 1 to just under two hours a pound.  Of course, you'll be cooking to doneness, not time.
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "Ain't nobody gonna find ya, unless you get yourself lost."
  • radamoradamo Posts: 326
    It will vary by butt... however I did two last week which totaled 10.1 lbs (Each was slightly over 5).  I put them on at 6AM and they went 11 hours.  They were separated by two inches or so... So the timing should be for one 5 pounder.  I always use about 2 hours per lb but it took slightly longer this time.  The last time I did them it took about 1:45 per pound. 

Long Island, NY
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 1,612
    edited August 2013
    I did a couple 7 pound costo butts together and they took 12 hours, plan on 2 hours per pound for just one of the butts and make sure they are not touching each other. If they are done early FTC them. Like Yemtrey said cook to temp and doneness not time, you will know they are done when a probe slides in like Buttah.

Large BGE 2006, Small BGE 2014, Adjustable Rig R&B, PSWoo3, Thermapen.
    Weber Gasser for the Wife. 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BoomerTheWeimBoomerTheWeim Posts: 43
    edited August 2013
    JRWhitee said:
    I did a couple 7 pound costo butts together and they took 12 hours, plan on 2 hours per pound for just one of the butts and make sure they are not touching each other. If they are done early FTC them. Like Yemtrey said cook to temp and doneness not time, you will know they are done when a probe slides in like Buttah.
    Thanks, what was your pit temp?
    Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners
    edited August 2013

I try to stay 250 -275, I find 225 is too hard to hold for lo and slows and with Butts it really doesn't make any difference weather it is 225 or 275.

Johns Creek, Georgia
    Here are 2 Costo Butts I did overnight @250 for 12 hours. They were around 7lbs each
    IMG_1741.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bo_mullbo_mull Posts: 225
    I did two 8 pounders last week and it took a total of 5 hours. Turbo style

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• CAT SellerCAT Seller Posts: 203
    I cook butts at 230/250 range, and it takes me exactly 2 hrs per pound. Plan on at least an hour for it to cool down enough before pulling or chopping.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart