Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

new fire grate

A buddy of mine is a fabricator and had this leftover piece of laser cut stainless laying around so I asked him to make a fire grate for me. There is not quite as much airflow as the of the expanded steel ones but to me it seems like it would allow much more air in than the stock grate. What do you guys think?

Comments

• GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I definitely think it's worth a try. 

My only concern is if the openings are large enough for the ashes to fall through, or if it will clog.

I am interested to see how it works out though.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • dmaroisdmarois Posts: 50
    Thats also what I was worried about, going to give it a try tomorrow
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 1,391

That's not going to allow the ash to fall through......those slits are not near large enough to allow for it.

What gauge is that?  If it was laser cut, I'm assuming it's thin.  It's probably going to warp or crack.

I've played around with a lot of different designs, mods, etc of firegrates and I've found the thickest gauge of flattened expanded SS304 is the best bet.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter