Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket questions

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have not done a Brisket yet, but it's coming.  I checked BJ's yesterday, they had only flats, and $4.59 per lb which struck me as high.

How is it to cook just the flat, and what kind of price is fair.  Also where would I look to get a full packer brisket?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Never did just a flat. But $4.59 seems high. My last brisket I paid $2.50 a lb for a certified angus choice brisket. I live in Ontario so maybe your prices are higher.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I would call some of the butchers in your area to see if they have packers and for how much. I have never seen anyone on this forum encourage cooking a flat but if you do they like the travis method otherwise they dry out.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My last brisket that I cooked was a 6-7 pound flat that I picked up at my local butcher.  No Travis Method, no offense.  Rubbed and put on the Egg at 250 indirect.  Turned out incredible.

I'm convinced that with Brisket, it's all about selecting the right piece of meat and less about method.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    +1 with @YEMTrey-all I can get are flats unless I want to pay ransom prices (makes $4.59/lb look inexpensive).  I tried the "Travis method" once and did not like the braise results.  That said, cooking the "regular way" w/o liquid or foil I find I hit many more singles and doubles than I do triples or home-runs but I enjoy the journey more than the end-result. End result is a bonus for me.  And definitely the quality of the hunk of beef has a major impact on the end product.  FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Texasguppie
    Options
    If you have a Sam's Club in your area head on over and pick up 12-15 lb. packer cut brisket.
    Look for one with a good fat cap, trim it down to about a quarter inch thick, get the Egg to a steady 250, rub it with your favorite concoction and learn to be patient.
    I allow 60-90 minutes per pound, start with the fat cap up, flip in about four hours, then again every two to four.
    Very little heat loss in the flipping process if you just get in and out.
    Internal temp should be about 185 when complete.
    Let it rest an hour wrapped in double foil in an ice chest with towels on top of the foiled beef goodness for insulation, slice against the grain when ready and serve.
    You will now be an adored brisket hero.
    Brisket is a fickle beast...she's done when she's done.