Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Turkey Breast

I am a relative newbie to the BGE (Large).  Going on 2 months now of EGGing and loving it!  Have done numerous Butts, Pork Loins, Hams, Ribs, Tri Tips and Chickens so far, all with great sucess.  Having said that, I received a special request this past weekend from SWMBO, for a Smoked Turkey Breast. Had not done of those on the BGE yet, so read all I could on this forum and went with this: 300 - 325, Indirect, apple juice in a disposable aluminum water pan and apple chunks for smoke.  On the Breast, which was 8.5 lbs, did a 24 hour brine of apple juice, maple syrup, kosher salt and brown sugar, then rinsed, dried and rubbed with a "Simon and Garfunkel" Rub(Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) about 2 hours prio to cooking.

I anticipated about 30 minutes per pound, so about a 4 hour cook was what I expected.  In the middle of the yard work the Maverick starts beeping at the 2 hour mark!  I was surprised and also concerned that SWMBO was not back from the store with the rest of the turkey fixins yet.  Had no choiced but to FTC it for a couple hours.  I have to say, it was pretty awesome and SWMBO loved it(always good to keep SWMBO happy!!).

I am no expert on this forum yet, but I have learned enough to know that "No pics = no proof".  But, I am still wrestling with posting pics, so if this sucks, I promise to study harder for next time.  Here's a couple pics(I hope!):

photo Turkeybreast2_zps2859d028.jpgphoto Turkeybreast1_zps4bda47ee.jpg

·

Comments

• Oh that looks so good.  Have done turkey with a few different woods, but not apple.  Gonna have to try it soon.  Thanks for sharing

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,271
    FYI: I do turkey cooks at 400 direct and a 13 lb bird is less than 1.5hrs. Yours sounds just right.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • EagleIIIEagleIII Posts: 138
    Mickey and SWVABeanCounter - Thanks for the comments! 
    ·
  • Seems more like roasting at those temps than smoking. We did a TB last week at 225 and it took about 4 hours and we took it off at 155 deg and wraped it to rest. It was primo.
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 467
    EagleIII - Looks like a cook to be proud of, thanks for posting I bet it was awesome!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • Looks killer! Doing my first tonite, too! Not smoked, more roasted 380F indirect- almost done!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    ·

@Cookbook_Chip - How'd that turkey turn out?  Did you get any pics?

·

@Aquacop - tks for the comment...it was pretty darn good and SWMBO, who was not completely sold on the BGE till I made the tuekey at her request, is now a convert..woo-whoo!

·
  • Nice work.  I've done a few of these, and I used an Italian Herb injection on the last one I did this past Thanksgiving.  People are still talking about it, it was so good.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·

@JohnInCarolina - On the Italian Herb injection...so basil, oregano, oil combination maybe?  Am I close?

·