Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Issue with underbite on new LBGE

Options
Hello all new to the forum and the egg. I just got a Large BGE as a birthday gift. Went to assemble it about a week ago and had a issue with the top and bottom portions lining up. Everything lines up fine when I tighten the bands down, but when I go to open the lid and then close it then it gets thrown out of whack. It is about 1/2" under bite at the top center front. I have tried reinstalling the band now maybe 15 times it seems and with no luck. Also called headquarters and left 2 messages now with no response... needless to say getting a bit frustrated at this point. Any suggestions? Something I over looked? I feel the bands are spaced properly. I will attach photos when I get home. Thanks yall

Comments

• randym4177
    Options
    Mine, which I got about two months ago, is the exact same way. I've adjusted the bands several times, will have it perfect, but upon tightening it becomes misaligned again.

It doesn't create any problems with cooking, so I haven't worried much about it.
  • NewToQue
    Options

Yeah I just dont want to fry the gasket (like I have heard about). I do plan on doin high temp cooking on it somewhat often. How much of a offset does yours have?

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Same exact issue with my large and I cannot say It doesn't bother me...cause it does:/
    However it doesn't affect the egg in terms of cooking and holding temp so i'm trying to forget about it.

I have taken the bands of realigned at least 5 time now and afraid that doing this is stressing the bands and putting wear on the carridge bolts (slightly bent) and i'm afraid they will crack off soon,so its staying as is until it affects functionality.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • alabama_egg
    Options
    mine is the same way

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Funny, just noticed this with my LBGE this am after last nights uber hot pizza cook. I pulled out the wrenches and adjusted it so it's a little better but not perfect. Good to know others are having the same issue. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• qprhooligan
    Options
    In for the pics.
  • NewToQue
    Options
    So it might be hard to tell... maybe should have used a tape measure in the pictures? See how the bands are now out of alignment after lifting. Before lifting it up this isn't a issue... Any thoughts? I dont think this is something that should be over looked. Paying this much for a product it should work/ fit how it was supposed to.

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Mines not perfect either, but it works good.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NewToQue
    Options

There is quite a lip on the inside when sticking my hand down the chimney. I can feel a bunch of felt almost half way around the egg. Wont this fry the gasket?

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Mine is a little blackened And hard but still fine.Maybe the newer Nomex gaskets are holding up better?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I rediscovered this when adjusting my XL. There is a demple (Small dip) on the top half and bottom half. You need to have them lined up and then do your adjusting. You have to have your bands really loose to see them. Kind like the dots on gears for timing. Line the dots up and try to adjust your eggs again. This might help. I know it did for my XL.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• NewToQue
    Options
    six_egg said:
    I rediscovered this when adjusting my XL. There is a demple (Small dip) on the top half and bottom half. You need to have them lined up and then do your adjusting. You have to have your bands really loose to see them. Kind like the dots on gears for timing. Line the dots up and try to adjust your eggs again. This might help. I know it did for my XL.

Yeah I am familiar with the dimples to align the front. Thank you for the suggestion.